What your Fave Howard Library Says About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Howard University has five main libraries. The Undergraduate Library (UGL), Founders Library, Louis Stokes Graduate Library, the School of Business library, and Ilab. Each library has different vibes and people attend each for different reasons. Where you might be most productive varies, as students may struggle to find their focus in one place versus another. Let’s break down each library and what your favorite one says about you.

If your favorite library is the Undergraduate Library (UGL), you enjoy a social setting that has comfort and snack breaks to get you through your studying. The Undergraduate Library stays open until Midnight, so sometimes this library can turn into a hangout spot. If you enjoy the vibes of local coffee shops, you can enjoy the small café available serving matcha, lattes, iced coffees, pastries, and more. This is somewhere you can socialize and get work done in a group setting with the conference rooms available. If you are someone who needs peace and quiet to do work this isn’t the library for you. If you are the ultimate multitasker who wants to get work done but doesn’t want a super quiet and uncomfortable setting check out UGL with some of your favorite study buddies.

If your fave library is the Founder’s Library, you enjoy the nostalgia of this old-school building to encourage healthy study habits. Founders is the library you see in typical representations of HBCUs. The wood furniture, marble floors, old pieces of art, and sculptures show the traditional style of this library. You can hear a pin drop in founders so this fits someone who enjoys quiet while doing work. Founders was built in 1939 and has not been revamped so you most likely enjoy the old-school vibes. This isn’t a place with a lot of communication so it’s perfect if you are introverted or just not interested in socializing head to Founders for one of the most focused study environments.

Louis Stokes is a favorite for those who like a moderate study environment where you can get work done but also socialize. This is perfect for you and your friend group to talk, do work, or collaborate on assignments. Having multiple floors with the librarian only on the first floor, you can communicate as much as you want. So for the girls who love to chat and catch up over work, this would be the perfect place for you to study.

The School of Business library is open to everyone but the library fits business students. You most likely enjoy the spaciousness and quietness of this library. It’s small and intimate with moderate noise so work isn’t too difficult to get done here. This library stays open until 9 p.m. so you probably are productive in the nighttime but not willing to risk beauty rest to get assignments done but, who is? Computer and printer access is handy in turning in paper assignments for class without paying to use a printer. If the SOB library is your favorite you enjoy accessibility and convenience which makes this library perfect for you.

Ilab is a 24-hour library for those who are about their business. This isn’t a library to sit and chat with but for an exact purpose. If Ilab is your favorite library you move with a purpose; you know what you want and you go for it. Ilab isn’t for everyone, this library is hardly ever full or busy so if you are more antisocial and like your own space you will enjoy Ilab. 

Libraries are essential to the college girl lifestyle but you have to find what fits you best. As a student, you learn that not every environment is ideal for you so find what environment you can be most productive in. There is no shame in burying your head into the books and being focused on your studies. Make the best out of your study environment to stay on your grind this school year and watch the benefits of all your hard work!

Hi my name is Hunter Nicole Stevens and I am a sophomore journalism major at Howard University from Virginia Beach, VA. I currently write for The Hilltop, HerCampus, and HBCU Pulse.