What to Wear: Howard University Career Fair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

At the Howard University career fairs, companies such as: Abercrombie & Fitch, AOL, Capital One, Gap, Inc., Geico,Goldman Sachs, Johnson&Johnson, Microsoft Corporation, Teach For America and more are available to speak with students about internships and post-graduate job opportunities. So how do you prepare for such an important event? Well first, you have to look the part!

Conservative dress is usually the norm for these events, but don’t be afraid to show your personality as well. A dark colored skirt or pants suit, or a neutral shift dress paired with a dark blazer is perfect for the feminine professional. Keep ruffles and embellishments to a minimum. Stockings are a must!

If you plan to wear pumps, keep them under four inches, closed toe, and in a dark color. Flats are an option as well, but they should also be dark and closed toe.

Hair should be neatly styled, no matter how you usually wear it. Long hair should be tied back into a low ponytail or bun, and shorter should be secured out of the face, perhaps with a small black headband or a few hair pins.

Makeup should be very understated. For best results, stick with the bare minimum: foundation/tinted moisturizer, mascara, lip gloss. Stay away from bright colors. Nails should be short, clean, and neatly polished in a transparent or neutral color.

Jewelry should be paired down to earrings (pearls, studs, or small hoops), a wristwatch or tiny bracelet, and a modest ring if you so choose. Jewelry should not be distracting, so no noisy bangles or statement pieces for this event!

We shouldn’t have to say this, but just for good measure, be sure to shower and brush your teeth, as you will be interacting closely with people and first impressions are of the utmost importance. Stay away from strong perfumes, they could be overwhelming to the people you speak to.

So now you’re dressed and ready, but don’t leave your room without:

·         Copies of your resume
·         Your elevator speech: 30-second infomercial that concisely tells the person you are giving it to
who you are, what makes you unique, and what you have to offer.
·         Pen and pad for note taking
·         Personal business cards to give to employers (optional)
·         Energy, a smile, and a positive attitude!

Follow these tips and you’ll be all set! Good luck, ladies!

Kalia Williams sophomore English major with a a minor in Journalism. She is from McAllen, TX, a budding town on the border of Texas and Mexico. She is interested in fashion, cinematography, traveling and learning languages. In addition to writing for HerCampus-Howard University, she serves as the editor of Sterling Notes, the literary magazine at Howard University. She is an avid fan of soccer and aspires to go to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil!