ulta flatlay test 2?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ulta flatlay test 2?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

Topicals Show Love to Other Black-Owned Businesses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.
ulta flatlay test 2?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Topicals didn’t wait until Black History Month to support Black-owned businesses. 

The popular skincare brand, most known for its dark spot-fading products, recently dropped its Slick Salve Mint Lip Balm. Customers raved about how moisturizing and long-lasting the product was, and it quickly sold out. 

However, Topicals didn’t leave shoppers who didn’t get a chance to purchase high and dry. On Jan. 23, they took to their social media platforms to recommend lip balms for people to buy while the Slick Salve Mint Lip Balm was sold out. The cool part; they were all products from Black-owned businesses. 

On the Topical’s TikTok account, a slideshow with six different Black-owned lipsticks was posted. Its caption was “Slick Salve may be out of stock, but that doesn’t mean your lips are out of luck.” 

The first was the Cay Skin Isle Lip Balm, which won the Cosmopolitan Best Lip Balm Award in 2023. It features not only moisturizing balm but also SPF 30. 

The second was the Fenty Skin Lux Balm Ultra-Hydrating Cherry Lip Balm, which has gained popularity, particularly with men through an advertisement featuring Rihanna’s partner and rapper A$AP Rocky. 

The Ami Colé Hydrating Lip Treatment Oil followed, coming in six different shades and containing three different oils. 

The slideshow also featured Lip Bar’s Moisture Pop Tinted Shimmer Balm, which adds shimmer to make lip balm a bit more fun. 

Next was Buttah Skin’s Luxe Lip Balm, which conveniently comes in packs of two for couples to share. 

Last but not least was Luna Magic’s Lip Balm Duo, which comes in fruity flavors and bright colors. The same products were showcased in a thread on Topicals’ X account and an Instagram reel.

In the comments, viewers were surprised and pleased with Topicals’ marketing choice, praising the brand for supporting and uplifting other Black-owned businesses. 

Many claimed that they had never seen another brand do something similar. CEO Olamide Olowe has made history as a Black woman herself, being the youngest black woman to raise $10 million in venture funding.

But Topicals’ charity doesn’t stop there. A portion of all proceeds made from the lip balm is donated to the Palestine Children’s Relief Fund. 

Nedelka is a senior English major, Media/Journalism & Film minor at Howard University. She is a first-generation college student born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, with a love for writing. Along with articles, she writes poetry and short stories. When she's not writing, you can catch her binge watching the latest trending television series.