Working women?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Working women?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Career

Tips to Ace That Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Anxious about securing that summer internship? Or are you a recent graduate hoping to get a job straight out of college? Filling out applications is already mentally taxing, but finding out you have two or three rounds of interviewing can induce an incomparable number of jitters. No matter the case, a company asking to interview you is a good sign. Here are a few tips to make sure you ace it.

Do your research.
One of the most important things—if not the most important—in regard to interviews is to be prepared. Whomever is interviewing you will be asking you specific questions, and it is a good idea to be well-versed in the history and efforts of that company. Not only does it show that you are interested in the work that company does, but also that you have taken the time to get to know what kind of projects you’ll be getting into. It can also help to get some information on your interviewers, if possible. Any similarities you have with them can definitely give you an advantage.

Analyze the job description.
The job/intern desc
ription is there for a reason—use it not only to decide if you want to apply but also in the interview itself. You want to mention past career opportunities or situations that are related to the expectations of what you’re applying for to show you are able to handle those tasks.

Think about your questions beforehand.
At the end of every interview, you’ll always be asked if you have any questions. Never say no! This is your chance to find out more about the company or industry, but also show if you’ve been listening throughout the interview. Note to not ask questions that have already been answered during your conversation.

Be early.
Whether it’s a zoom call or in person, you always want to be early. Even if your interviewer is not there, sit in the waiting room. It shows you care about their time, and that you won’t be late if they hire you.

Be enthusiastic.
Even in the most professional, formal settings, it’s okay to show a little personality! There are other candidates going for the same position, so it’s important that you stand out. There’s no need to be nervous; just let your interviewers get to know you and feel like you’re happy to be there.

Follow-up.
After the interview, make sure to send a thank you email expressing your gratitude for the opportunity. Also, remind them where they can reach you for updates. Especially if the interview went well, this leaves a good impression!

Nedelka is a senior English major, Media/Journalism & Film minor at Howard University. She is a first-generation college student born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, with a love for writing. Along with articles, she writes poetry and short stories. When she's not writing, you can catch her binge watching the latest trending television series.