This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

This last year has been full of surprises, from leaving school to being in a full-blown pandemic. I always reminisce about what used to be. I’m a daydreamer, so I also like to dream about what could be. So, I’ll be telling you all what I want to do once the pandemic is over.

1. A Road Trip Across the United States

Before the pandemic, I didn’t want to go anywhere cold or west/midwest USA, except for Nevada or California. But after everything that has happened, I want to see all that other states have to offer. I’ll start in Georgia, go across to New Mexico and then go up the states to the Dakotas. Eventually, I would end up going down the West Coast and returning to Georgia, visiting the states I missed the first time. 

1. Go on a Girl’s Trip

One thing I miss is going out with my best friends. I went from having sleepovers and seeing them every day, to talking on Facetime every other day. I want to go on a vacation with my friends, so we can get away from distractions (and school), and experience new food and culture. I would love for us to go on a one week trip to Bali or Jamaica!

1. Weekend Trip to New York

I had planned on taking the train from DC to New York in the spring, but COVID hit, so I went back to Georgia. When I go back to Howard, I’ll designate one weekend to travelling to New York so I can visit family, check out some of their museums, and eat all over. I’ll become a super tourist. 

1. Walk around Atlanta without a Mask

Currently, my city has very high COVID-19 rates, and that’s mainly because people like to party, but don’t like wearing masks. Once everything is over, I will walk around downtown without a mask on, just because I can. I’ll take a stroll around Piedmont Park without having to worry about catching something. 

1. Go all out for Howard’s Homecoming

Howard’s homecoming is iconic – after all, it’s ranked number one for college homecomings. In my freshman year, I didn’t know what to expect and didn’t plan my outfits very well. So once this pandemic is over, I am popping out every single day of homecoming, even if there aren’t any events going on. I want to make my first homecoming after the pandemic the best one to remember. 

1. Have a Spa day at Jeju

Jeju Spa is one of my favorite places to go in Atlanta. It is a Korean spa located towards Duluth, and I’ve always had the most relaxing experiences there. They provide full-body scrubs, different saunas, soothing crystal rooms, and the food is out of this world. I used to go every two months but I’m a little too skeptical to go now. The spa will definitely be a great experience once everything is over.

1. Attend Mardi Gras

I have never been to Louisiana, but when I do go, it’ll be for Mardi Gras. My best friend’s family is from Louisiana and she always tells me stories about it. I’ve been told that during this time the French Quarter is full of energy and excitement, and that there are beads everywhere. I can’t wait to attend!

1. Host a Birthday Bash

Hopefully, by the time the pandemic ends, I’ll be turning 21. I don’t usually celebrate my birthdays, but for this one in particular, I have to. I want to host an Airbnb birthday party and be able to go out and have fun with all my friends! My last birthday was spent in the house with my aunt, and it will probably be the same this year as well. So, I can only dream about what will happen in the future. 

As I stated before, this is a list of activities I want to do after the COVID-19 pandemic is no more. Hopefully everyone can make a list like mine, so they don’t forget that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Make sure to wear your masks to keep yourself and others safe. We’ll make it through this pandemic together. 

Hello, my name is Damali Danavall, I am a Junior, Biology and Criminology double major, and Chemistry minor from Atlanta, GA. I currently attend Howard University.
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD