Sugar wax in a glass jar
Sugar wax in a glass jar
Original photo by Kelsey Gallagher
Style > Beauty

Sugaring: A Game Changer for Hair Removal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

I have been sugar waxing for the past three months and the results have been so good that I cannot go back to shaving. Using razors to shave constantly gave me painful ingrown hairs, cuts, and dark spots on my skin. I wanted to find an alternative to shaving that would solve this issue and was easy to do at home. I came across sugar wax while scrolling through TikTok and knew I had to try it. Sugar wax is a sticky paste made out of sugar, lemon juice, and water that removes hair similar to traditional wax. However, this method of hair removal is more gentle on the skin and has major benefits that will improve your hair removal process. In only three months of sugar waxing my skin is less prone to ingrown hairs and feels softer than ever. 

Sugar waxing, also known as sugaring, has several benefits that make this hair removal technique better than shaving and using regular hard and soft wax. Sugar wax is made from all-natural ingredients and works very well for sensitive skin. Whenever I sugar wax, my skin does not feel very irritated or inflamed as it would with traditional wax. Also, the sugar paste does not need to be heated like traditional wax which prevents burns. Unlike hard or soft wax, sugar paste is molded in the opposite direction of hair growth and pulled in the direction of hair growth. This allows the sugar to really mold around the hair and pull the hair from the root without breakage. I feel very minimal pain while using this method.  It almost feels like I am ripping a band-aid off. The same paste can be also reapplied multiple times on the same area during a wax session. One of my favorite things about sugar wax is the easy clean up process. Since sugar dissolves in water, all you have to do is drop the sugar paste in a bowl of water. The paste will dissolve and you only have to clean up the hair that is left. After the sugaring is complete, you are left with beautiful hairless skin that will last up to 3-4 weeks!

It is a little difficult to make sugar wax because you have to mix the ingredients at a very specific temperature over the stove and get the wax to the right consistency without burning it, so I recommend buying pre-made sugar wax. There are plenty of premade sugar waxes that you can buy online; however, I bought my sugar wax from a black-owned company, Sugardoh. The Essential Starter Kit from Sugardoh has everything you need to start your sugar wax journey. The kit includes sugar wax, body powder, a post-wax serum, and other tools that will help you find the best waxing technique that works for you. It is very beginner-friendly and I’m sure you will get hang of sugaring in no time. I promise you, once you start sugaring you can give your razor a kiss goodbye! 

Hi, my name is Briana and I am from Philadelphia P.A. I am a senior Biology major with minors in Chemistry and Spanish studying at Howard University. My interests include writing, dancing, and natural hair and skin care.