This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Jada White

In modern times, it is no surprise to hear phrases like “men are trash,” “I hate men,” or “toxic masculinity.” Although such sayings are currently trendy, women should refrain themselves from this continuous bashing of men because many are unconsciously starting to believe everything negative they say about their male counterparts, as a whole. 

The truth is … masculinity is not inherently toxic, but the unchecked misandry that is running rampant is. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a man or boy enjoying “manly” activities and/or “manly” stuff. Despite the opinions of some, this preference is not something that needs to be balanced out with superficial feminine qualities and characteristics. 

Men are strong and assertive. Many of them are also inclined to be amazing leaders. Of course, women can do many of the things that men can do, and women should be offered certain roles if one of them just so happens to be the best for the job, but why should women villainize men who embrace their masculinity? This character trait is natural for the majority of men and beneficial to society as a whole. 

Plus, feminine women are also amazing in their own right. Instead of trying to switch roles with men in every area of life, women should embrace and celebrate their own femininity because they are just as important and powerful, regardless. 

If anything, hating, emasculating, and villainizing men is only harmful to the production and growth of society. The presence and work of men is necessary, not just a flimsy option in life. To enumerate, men are important within a home and in the workplace. 

Additionally, women encouraging themselves to hate men is counter-productive for the future, as well as the present. For example, how can you thrive in a healthy marriage (if you choose to be in one) if you hate the very thing your husband is? Likewise, think about the possibility of having a son. How unfair is it to a child to hate what he will naturally grow into one day? 

In no way am I asking for anyone to ignore the wrongdoings that men have done in the past and/or present. Instead, what I’m asking is for women to take note that these wrongdoings were not caused because they were men. Comparatively, women also partake in the same evil and malicious activities, but hardly anyone dares to generalize the entire female race with such negativity. Now that is hypocritical. 

Ultimately, masculinity is not toxic, but your biased, negative perspective on masculine men is.

Jada White

Howard '26

I am a freshman, broadcast journalism major at Howard University. I am originally from Atlanta, Georgia.