Rihanna’s Halftime-Show Performance; Riri proves again that she is THE badgal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Everyone had something to say about the Superbowl on Sunday, Feb. 12. Some had things to say about the Chiefs and others about the Eagles, but a good amount of us are talking about Rihanna.

The halftime show was beyond words and it was executed beautifully. She killed the performance. She played her huge hits and bangers, transitions were on point, and let’s not forget that she was a literal diamond in the air with those platforms. Riri fans all over couldn’t wait to see this Barbadian singer. It has been over six years since her last album dropped in 2016, and she pops out every four to six months here and there. People couldn’t stop making theories about her dropping a new album soon or who she was performing with after she mentioned a possible special guest. 

She not only had one special guest with her that night, but two–a  girl always has to plug her work. She took a pause in the middle of “All of the Lights” to touch up her makeup with “Invisimatte Instant Setting + Blotting powder.” This was wonderful publicity for her Fenty Beauty line and I’m sure Sephoras and Ultas everywhere will be out of stock soon, if they are not already. Special guest #2 was an exciting announcement for everyone! After Rihanna and A$AP Rocky’s first-born son, born in May of 2022, the couple announced that they are expecting another child soon! Fans all over went crazy after seeing her baby bump and hearing the confirmations. We are all super excited for them and can’t wait to see how their family progresses and builds. 

Rihanna is a hugely influential artist all over the world and not only were her fans super excited for her but she was excited about her fans. “It’s important for representation,” she explained in her interview with Apple Music, this year’s sponsor for the halftime show. Apple Music’s ad shows a child meant to be her young self, showing what her life looked like growing up. “My whole life was shaped on this very road, I was just a little island girl flying kites in the cemetery…but I had big dreams.” People might have been sharing many things about this moment, but the bigger message behind it is what is important.

My name is Darby Mutagoma, and I am a topic editor and a part of the content team, writing for the Howard chapter of Her Campus. My article topics are usually in the culture, entertainment, life, and style categories. I am a sophomore at THE Howard University and an honors psychology major and sociology minor from Freeport, Maine, by way of Kigali, Rwanda. Beyond Her Campus, I am the secretary for the Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society, Theta Theta Chapter, where we promote the beauty of English and writing on local campuses and surrounding communities. I am also in the Cultural Socialization Lab, focusing on the socialization of children and their development, and I am a part of the College of Arts and Sciences Honors Program. You can also find me at the Howard Psychology Club and the Howard African Student Association meetings. My hobbies include singing, reading, and my favorite, writing. Being able to express my ideas and thoughts through Her Campus is so special to me. I hope you enjoy my stories and articles and thank you so much for reading!! 💗