The Organic Shower Smoothie: Better Than Synthetic Soap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

As a busy collegiette, you don’t have time to read the back of soap and lotion bottles to scan for harmful ingredients.  You are simply concerned with finding something that is inexpensive and works! However, there is one question that you should always ask yourself when shopping for soaps: are there harmful chemicals in my cosmetics?” Turns out that in various soaps, there are chemicals called Parabens that work as a preservative to prolong the shelf life of products. It may not sound too bad, however, according to the website ecoTools, “[t]hese chemicals mimic the function of estrogen in your body. Your body treats Parabens as hormones, which lead to disruption in the endocrine system and increase cancer risks” Cancer is already scary enough as it is, difficult to treat, and hard to predict. Why increase your chances?

I know, I know, all you want is soap that you can use without worrying about if it will send you to a hospital bed! Don’t fret…there is good news! You can make your own solution with a moisturizer/soap that you can use in the shower. This product will exfoliate dull, dead skin cells, and moisturize your skin, leaving it fresh and soft all day long. Other ingredients include 2oz ground coffee, 2oz Epsom salt, 1 ripe avocado, 2oz of plain Greek yogurt, and sunflower seed oil.

Start by wetting the ground coffee a little so that it will mix with the other ingredients in a big bowl. Blend the ingredients together, and Voila! You now have a shower smoothie!  There are many variations to this mixture, so if you don’t like one ingredient, you can always take it out and exchange it for another. For example, if you want your soap to have a particular scent, you can always add 2 drops of Peppermint Oil, Lavender Oil or any other oils that you may fancy. It is important to be careful with essential oils because although they are natural, they are also very potent and can cause irritation. It is always best to use as little as possible, while doubling the amount of carrier oil (Ex. 2 drops of lavender oil with 4 drops of olive oil).

Remember to research your favorite cosmetics if your health is a big concern. There is no harm in learning to make your own beauty products, as long as you feel safe. This activity is fun and can exercise your creativity. Enjoy!

Kalia Williams sophomore English major with a a minor in Journalism. She is from McAllen, TX, a budding town on the border of Texas and Mexico. She is interested in fashion, cinematography, traveling and learning languages. In addition to writing for HerCampus-Howard University, she serves as the editor of Sterling Notes, the literary magazine at Howard University. She is an avid fan of soccer and aspires to go to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil!