This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

“New year, new me!” We’ve all heard this phrase at the start of each new year, and while we can all agree that we may change a few things for the first few days or weeks we usually slip back into our old routine (most of the time at least). The truth is that it’s very difficult to change, especially all at once. So, instead of declaring that you are going to be a completely different person, it may be more beneficial to focus on smaller goals that are easier to accomplish. 

Before you begin trying to change yourself, you first have to recognize what it is that you want to change. Without recognition, you’re basically going into the situation blind. It is a common mistake, which is what leads to many people flaking on their new year’s resolutions. So, when you pick an aspect, characteristic, hobby, etc,. dig deep into trying to figure out why you want to change, the steps it will take to get there, and how it will benefit you in the long run. This may seem intimidating due to the fact that change is scary,  which is completely normal. However, if you keep doors closed, you’ll never know what’s on the other side. 

I have a strong feeling that 2020 is going to be full of success for everyone. However, that success will not come if you are hesitant to step out on a limb. Start small, and work your way up towards a bigger goal. You are in control of setting the pace for 2020. Stay dedicated, persistent, and realistic.

Now, go make 2020 your year. 

Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.