This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

After the 80s hits such as The Breakfast Club and Heathers, and 2000s favorites like Mean Girls and High School Musical, another era of coming of age movies are upon us. Here are some recently released movies that continue to revitalize the timeless trope and shape it for generations to come. 

Booksmart (2019)

Directed by Olivia Wilde, this 2019 release tells the story of two seniors’ last night as high schoolers before their graduation. Lead by Beanie Feldstein and Kaitlyn Dever, the story focuses on female friendship, the desire to fit in, and defying expectations. Dubbed the “female Superbad” by some critics, the movie features a lead lesbian character and is equally hilarious and heartfelt.  

High school movies are always a common topic for coming of age stories, but Booksmart takes it to another level. With unashamed characters with huge personalities and epic stakes, this film turns the normal school stereotypes on their heads and leaves audiences grateful for their strongest friendships. 

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before (2018)

The Netflix adaptation of Jenny Han’s adored book series hit the streaming service last August and continues to be one of the most successful original movies on the platform. Following Lara Jean Covey through her junior year of high school, her life begins to unravel when her younger sister sends out five love letters on Lara’s behalf. Lara Jean must then fake a relationship with Peter Kavinsky in order to fool her former crush and Peter’s old girlfriend into thinking they’ve moved on. 

This movie stands out because of it’s mostly new cast, which fans instantly fell in love with. Both Lana Condor and Noah Centineo embody their characters and have signed on for the second and third movies in the franchise. When P.S. I Still Love You comes out in February 2020, it will be no surprise if the love of these characters goes viral yet again. 

Love, Simon (2018) 

Another story based on a young adult novel, Love, Simon was released in 2018. Simon Spear, a high school senior, navigates his senior year in the closet and falling in love with an unknown digital pen-pal. As tensions arise between classmates, the stakes are raised and Simon faces a difficult decision: keep hiding or unleash his true self. 

This movie is special because it has a gay lead and does not fall victim to the sad or dying character tropes that many LGBT movies do. As a new generation of children grow up watching movies, Love, Simon will serve as positive representation as well as a generally enjoyable movie. 

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

Arguably one of the most acclaimed superhero movies of all time with an Oscar, a Golden Globe, and a BAFTA Award, Into the Spider-Verse also doubles as a coming of age story. Teenager Miles Morales is thrust into a new beginning after getting bitten by a radioactive spider and on top of dealing with moving into a new school, he also has to worry about the fate of the multiverse. 

Spider-Man has always embodied the coming of age trope from the comics to the film renditions, and with this movie choosing to follow a young Afro-Latino boy from Brooklyn, we see the same story in a different light. Whenever you need a burst of motivation, this movie and its soundtrack are bound to do the trick. With resounding themes such as finding your footing and achieving your full potential, Into the Spider-Verse reminds us that sometimes, all we need is a leap of faith. 

The 2010s are almost over, which means a new generation will step up and take over the film industry. Even though we all grow up under different circumstances, the movies we see manage to connect us all and remind us that at the end of the day, we’re all more alike than different. 

Ally Stonum

Howard '22

Ally is a sophomore Marketing major at Howard University from Washington, D.C. She loves comics, tea, poetry, and writing about the things she is passionate about.
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.