Netflix’s Harry & Meghan takes a personal dive into the biggest royal scandal of the decade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

By Cydneii Lung’aho

Earlier this month, Netflix released the limited docuseries, Harry & Meghan. The riveting new series advertised a new perspective on the two former members of the Royal Family’s fall from grace in recent years: their own. The series, split into two series release dates Dec. 8 and Dec. 15, came out with its first three episodes today and tackled some of the most controversial topics of their story.

The first episode offers a raw look into the life of Harry as he navigates his royal role, the loss of his mother, and life after such a tragedy. Simultaneously, the series recalls the early days of the royal couple’s relationship that involved tip-toeing around the press and a swoon-worthy love story that we all believed to only exist in fairy tales. The subsequent episode illustrates Meghan’s life pre-royalty and the claustrophobic nature of the press as the couple’s romance goes public. Likely the most memorable content of the series thus far, the Duke and Duchess recall some of the biggest moments in the public’s memory, providing personal accounts and understanding to the nature of the events. The final episode expresses Harry and Meghan’s relationship as it evolves into the world of marriage. Iconic points like the engagement interview, wedding planning, and royal events are discussed, including exclusive interviews with Meghan’s niece Ashleigh Hale, daughter of her sister Sarah Markle, and the truth about Markle’s father’s absence at the biggest wedding in the world.

One of the most compelling parts of the series, the Duke and the Duchess address the aggressive nature of the Press as it affects the entire Royal Family, but even more brutally Meghan. The series’ most expressive detail is the blatant harassment of the press to members like the late Princess Diana and now her second-born son and his family. For this reason, the press has seen the series as a destructive vice towards the Royal family as well as another cry for fame by the Duchess.

Nevertheless, the series is a must watch that provides a serious insight into the lives of the royal family and its integration, especially for people of color into such a historic institution, as well as another wake up call to the unspoken but loudly exercised racism within today’s societies.

Corinne Dorsey is a freshman journalism major at Howard University. Corinne is currently a freelance writer for theGrio and a contributing writer for The Hilltop, Her Campus, and Teen Graffiti Magazine. Corinne is also a radio show host for “Hard to Swallow” on WHBC 96.3. In Corinne’s free-time she enjoys spending time with friends, trying new foods, reading the latest magazine issues, exploring the city, and improving her photography skills. Post Graduation, Corinne plans to work in the media as a multimedia journalist for a magazine or TV network. Digital Portfolio: https://corinnedorsey.journoportfolio.com/