This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

The year 2020 is just starting and the tea across the pond is hot and brewing. The first black princess in the royal family, Megan Markle, and her husband Prince Harry have decided to step back from their duties as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, to focus on their family. Given the birth of their son Archie, it is only fair that Megan and Harry be given time to themselves. However, there are other unfortunate factors that play into their decision to move on from the royal family.

Since news broke of Harry and Megan’s relationship, the British tabloids have taken an unfair and frankly prejudiced view on Megan and her actions. She has been  ridiculed from her slightest movements to what she wears and how she speaks. Markle was judged by tabloids in a way that Kate Middleton never experienced. Considering how Megan has been treated by the public, it is apparent that racism is still alive and well. While some viewed this step back from the royal family as inappropriate or disgraceful, the decision that Harry and Megan made was simply theirs regardless of public opinion.

Even though it may seem dramatic or gossip worthy, this event is actually an act of defiance and an example of knowing one’s worth. Being surrounded by the media and criticized for the smallest of details, led Markle to make a decision that stood up for her family against judgement and racial prejudices. This decision sets an example and serves as a lesson for young girls to never sit back and accept the judgements of others. It shows the importance of speaking your mind and making decisions that will  improve the state of your life.

Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.