Estee Lauder\'s Nutritious 2 in 1 Foam Cleanser and Melting Soft Creme/Mask
Original photo by Alexandra Flodman

Love is Blind: Messy On and Off Screen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Another “Love is Blind” season has passed, and it was one for the books! There were multiple love triangles, couples who did not make it to the altar and a man who married someone different than he chose in the pods. Netflix released all of the episodes, and following this, there was a sit-down reunion hosted by Vanessa and Nick Lachey where secrets were revealed. The reunion took place a year after Season 4 was filmed and gave the cast an opportunity to express what we did not see on camera.

Viewers anticipated this drama-filled reunion scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Sunday, April 26. The announcement that the reunion would be live took viewers by surprise and was a great way to pull many viewers together for the same event at the same time. This was the first time in Netflix history that a reality show would be live, and many people took this as an opportunity to have watch parties for the hit show. Although the reunion was originally scheduled to be broadcast live, the live reunion was canceled due to technical difficulties. The internet went into a panic, making viewers feel stood up right before a big event. The broadcast eventually occurred hours later and after much scrutiny from the internet.

Both Lacheys hosted the reunion, but it was evident that Vanessa took the reins on the invasive questions. The reunion began with a clarification of Kwame and Chelsea’s relationship. The couple expressed that the viewers only saw a snippet of their love story, and they are very much in love. Chelsea also met Kwame’s mother and was welcomed with open arms. Tiffany and Brett discussed their happy relationship and shared that she still falls asleep at the drop of a hat. When the attention was turned to Irina, she played the victim and blamed her rude and malicious behavior on the anxiety that she faced during the show. Zack spoke about her behavior and stated that she “only came on the show to become famous.” As a viewer, it is evident that Irina could not see beyond looks and tap into her emotional connection with Zack.

Micah and Paul were next to be questioned, and most of their discussion was centered around the fact that they did not get married. Micah said that she wanted to ask Paul first because she did not want him to marry her to avoid embarrassing her at the wedding. When asked why he could not marry Micah, Paul stated that she did not have a nurturing nature which concerned him about their future and children. Lastly, Jackie and Marshall’s relationship is touched on. Jackie was not in attendance, but she called Marshall soft in the pods and stated that he called her a derogatory name. When Marshall was asked about this, he stated that both of them made jokes that were not taken lightly and attacked their sexuality. But, Jackie is happy, and it is important to not dwell on what occurred a year ago.

The “Love is Blind” reunion had issues on and off screen. Overall, the reunion was as messy – if not messier – than Season 4 of “Love is Blind.” First, the technical difficulties and then the drama that followed the reunion caused a great ending to the crazy season. Although many hoped that the reunion would be live, the wait was definitely worth it.

Hello, my name is Aysia Shelley! I am a junior criminology major, legal communications minor from New Baltimore, MI.