Culture > News

Joe Madison, “The Black Eagle,” Activist and SiriusXM radio show host, dies at 74

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Joe Madison, the host of the SiriusXM talk show “The Black Eagle,” was announced dead via a statement from his family on Facebook. 

The broadcast icon, who had been battling prostate cancer since 2009, took a leave of absence from his SiriusXM show last December to focus on his health.

“Joe dedicated his life to fighting for all those who are undervalued, underestimated and marginalized. On air he often posed the question, ‘What are you going to do about it,” read the Madison family’s statement. “Although he is no longer with us, we hope you will join us in answering that call by continuing to be proactive in the fight against injustice.”

Madison’s career began in Detroit at the age of 24 when he became the youngest person to lead an NAACP chapter, he then became the national political director of the NAACP and a dedicated board member.

Transitioning from his civil rights work to the airwaves, Madison embarked on a radio career that spanned several decades. In 1980, he started his radio journey in Detroit before making significant moves to Philadelphia and finally settling in the heart of the nation’s capital, Washington, D.C., where he became a recognizable voice on WOL before joining SiriusXM in 2008.

Madison was most known for bringing his passion for justice and equality to his radio shows, sparking discussions on critical issues, and inspiring his listeners to take action. The 2019 Radio Hall of Fame inductee often brought guests who introduced sociological and Afro-American studies-centric ideas to his audience.

Over his career, he’d broken several records including setting the Guinness World Record for the longest on-air broadcast, 52 hours, in 2015 and broadcasting live from Cuba and becoming the first American radio host to do so in more than 50 years, according to his website

https://x.com/potus/status/1753256352217014555?s=46&t=AlrICowphg97AsmH_5Pk5Q

Tributes poured in from political leaders, with President Joe Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris, Senator Reverend Raphael Warnock and D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser among those expressing their condolences on social media. 

Madison passed away surrounded by his family, survived by his wife Sherry and their blended family of four children, five grandchildren, and one great-grandchild. A memorial service will be held at a later date and Madison’s website currently has a condolences tab for fans to send in well wishes. 

Alana Matthew is a senior journalism major and sociology minor at Howard University. Alana is currently the editor-in-chief of the Her Campus Howard section and chief copy editor for The Hilltop. Alana is also a former intern at the Science Based Targets initiative, ABC News, and Bloomberg. Post graduation, Alana intends to continue working as a journalist for a magazine or newspaper. Digital Portfolio: https://alanamatthew2003.wixsite.com/digitalportfolio