Event speakers begin telling attendees their reasons for the walkout.
Original photo by Faith Harper
Culture > News

Howard University Students Lead Walkout in Support of Palestine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.
Howard University’s Students for Justice in Palestine organization leaders opening event to introduce student speakers.
Original photo by Faith Harper

Last Wednesday, a crowd of Howard students, faculty and nearby residents surrounded the flagpole on the Yard, an academic and open space on campus. This gathering was in response to a Free Palestine Walkout post by the Howard organization, Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP). 

SJP has published resources, a #CeasefireNow petition and events under their Instagram page with one post reading that they have, “grounded themselves in continued firm support of Palestinian liberation.” With a turnout of nearly 200 people, the organizers of SJP say they feel hopeful that their message will continue to be communicated, particularly concerning their stance on the upcoming administrative decisions at Howard University.

“I believe Howard University can support by taking the necessary steps to divest from weapons corporations such as Boeing, Raytheon and Lockheed Martin which arm Israel’s occupation and genocide in Palestine,” a fifth-year architecture program student and SJP organizer said. “Anything short of this will be seen as complicity in the atrocities being committed against the Palestinian people.”

Attendees received pamphlets about Black and Palestinian solidarity during the walkout. A poster board was also circulated to allow individuals to stamp a black, white or green fingerprint on signs that read “Always in solidarity” and “Always remembering.”

Attendees stamp a black, white or green fingerprint on signs that read “Always in solidarity” and “Always remembering”.
Original photo by Faith Harper

Flags were worn as capes under the sun as speakers involved in political education gave information on their support for Palestine and why students should join as well. Richard Manasseh, a senior majoring in international business, attended the walkout hoping to display his support.

“I always wanted to show solidarity for the Palestinians because what they’re going through is no joke,” Manasseh said. “I think a lot of people are on the fence or don’t care at all but this is a serious issue. The media is trying to show that it’s not that serious but that’s not how it is.”

Attendees like Janiel Edwards, a sophomore majoring in radiation therapy, believe Howard students should know that events similar to this have weight to them.

“[To have an event like this,] it’s impactful and it’s remembrance,” Edwards said. “As a Black person, every day we fight. This isn’t something new for us. Join because we can, join because it’s love and join because in your heart you know you’re doing something good.”

With chants of ‘We are Palestinian, we will return by the millions’ echoing through the Yard and heard in classrooms, one SJP organizer remarks that this turnout demonstrates their stance. 

“It is my hope that the walkout conveys this message to all, including Howard’s administration: the students of Howard University stand in unwavering solidarity with the people of Palestine,” the SJP organizer said.

Faith Harper is a content writer for Howard University's Her Campus chapter, where she covers various topics including on-campus life, entertainment, culture, television, movies, and wellness. In addition to her role at Her Campus, Faith serves as the associate producer for the News Department at Spotlight Network at Howard University. In this capacity, she oversees team members within the news sector, guiding them in the process of identifying and crafting stories, managing pre and post-production tasks, and communicating necessary resources to the executive producer. Faith has also contributed as a writer for Cover2Cover Magazine, a publication affiliated with Howard University. She is presently a sophomore at Howard University, pursuing a major in Journalism. During her leisure time, Faith delights in revisiting classic movies and TV shows from the early 1990s and 2000s. Additionally, she enjoys baking new recipes with her friends and eating at her favorite pizza spot in her home city, Chicago, Leona’s. As a former Girl Scout, she takes pride in her dedication to inspiring young girls, emphasizing that the world offers boundless opportunities and wrongs for them to right.