self care?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
self care?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Designed by Julianna Marie

How to Actually Practice Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Hey you. Yes you.

It may seem that this particular phase in your life is the most intense and cutthroat. It may be a time filled with confusion, heartbreak, remorse, anger and even depression. I get it. As cliche as it sounds, you’re not alone. You’re going through a transformation; things are changing, and you are too. As everything changes, you’re evolving into a better version of yourself.

But what if it doesn’t feel like it? What if this moment in your life feels like an eternity of uncertainty and difficulty? This is one of those times when self-care may help you. And by self-care, I mean more than just face masks and bubble baths (although those are great forms of self-care, too).

Here’s three ways you can take care of yourself:

1. Step away from people who hurt or discourage you.

While it may be hard for some, stepping away from people who continuously hurt you is one of the best ways to take care of yourself. For me, it was hard to step away from the person I loved, but after they continuously hurt me, I realized it was best for me to walk away. When you stay in situations with people who waste your time and disregard your feelings, you’re allowing them to continue the same antics. You end up losing yourself trying to fit their mold or please them. Yes, it hurts to step away, but in the end, you salvage things worth way more than a relationship: your dignity and your worth.

1. Find simple things that make you happy.

Painting your nails. Decorating your room. Buying a plant. It’s simple acts like these that really brighten your day. Find joy in them. Think about what activities make you smile the most and try to do these things regularly. Recently, I’ve loved redecorating my dorm and envisioning how it’ll look once I get more decorations. I’m giving myself something to look forward to in the future. Giving yourself that same hope can make your days a little easier.

1. Find solace in yourself or in your community.

People always say that healing is a lonely journey, but it doesn’t always have to be. Sometimes, healing with others is better. Think about emotional healing like an open wound. Sure, your body will heal and scab over on its own, but those components like alcohol, bandaids and medication help ease that process. So, why can’t emotional healing be the same? To ease the pain and stress you may be going through, find solace in the music and art you like and in your friends.

Remember: healing is not a linear process. Take care of yourself, but remember that self-care is more than just what you see on Twitter threads.

Take Care!

Makenna is a writer and a junior journalism major at Howard University. Hailing from small town Arkansas, Underwood has dreams beyond her home. She enjoys writing about fashion, culture, and politics and hopes to pursue it beyond college. Outside of Her Campus, Makenna runs a college blog called Makenna's Meditation and is an editor for The Hilltop--Howard's student newspaper. She hopes to have an impact at Her Campus and can't wait to build the next generation of independent young women.