Amelia Kramer-Pastels Smiles Blur
Amelia Kramer-Pastels Smiles Blur
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus
Style > Beauty

How to Love Your Hair After the Big Chop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Throughout the COVID-19 quarantine, I have made some major changes. After years of chemically damaging my coils with relaxers, I decided to do the big chop. I was relieved at the fact that I no longer had to deal with the limitations of a relaxer. However, I had my doubts about my decision. Long hair has always been viewed as a symbol of a woman’s beauty. As time progressed, self-identifying black women became encouraged to embrace their textured curls and discard the false belief that only straight hair is acceptable. There are still pressures to conform to the outdated and exclusive beauty standard which has caused many women who have undergone the natural hair journey to feel insecure. From what I learned after doing the big chop, here are three ways to embrace your beautiful teeny-weeny afro:

Do Your Research

Going natural was a completely new experience for me. I had relaxed my hair for so long that I had forgotten what my hair texture looked like. To navigate this process, I read articles and watched videos of hair care routines. It is important to be informed before embarking on this journey because it will become easier to maintain healthy hair. Don’t be afraid to call local salons or reach out to other women who have also done the big chop. They can provide support and recommend the best products to use. I also encourage you to play around with your hair whether that be coloring, styling, or manicuring it. Having short hair should be enjoyable. There are several apps such as Pinterest and Instagram that can give as much hair inspiration as you need.

Think Positive

Months before I decided to cut my hair, I remember having a conversation about it with some friends. I said that there was no way I could chop it off because my “head was too small” and “I didn’t have the face to pull off short hair.” Little did I know that confidence is the secret to fully embracing your curls and coils. Do not let your harsh criticisms along with other people’s judgment distract you from knowing your worth. There may be an adjustment period after doing the big chop, but remind yourself why you made the decision to do it and what your end goals are. By holding your head high throughout this experience, it will exude your boldness and confidence.

Promote Internal Growth

I could not stop looking at myself in the mirror after I cut my hair. It accentuated my facial features but also prompted me to see what I needed to improve on internally. When you cut your hair, think of what needs to flourish mentally and spiritually. This could be the perfect time to challenge yourself with a new hobby, start physically exercising to improve your health, and schedule more self-care days. The overall experience of cutting your hair should be a regrowth on the inside and out.

Hi! My name is Cynthia, and I am an undergraduate student majoring in Biology at Howard University. I joined Her Campus to write about my interests in health, college lifestyle, and personal development.
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD