Howard?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Howard?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo by Howard for HCM / Design by Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

How Howard Students Can Move #OneGreenStep at a time to Greener Beauty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Presented by Garnier x Her Campus

Simple changes that help the environment make a substantial difference – and doing things like using refillable products, recycling, turning off lights, unplugging electronics and buying Garnier products are just some of the ways Howard Students can become more eco-friendly. 

The Her Campus Chapter Network is collaborating with Garnier, the beauty brand that has brought environmental awareness to households since 1994, and continues to bring eco-friendliness and promote sustainability to college campuses around the nation. A number of Garnier products are friendly for the environment, cut down on waste, and work great for hair and body.

One of my favorite Garnier products is the Micellar Cleansing Water All-in-1 Original + Waterproof Makeup remover, which is a gentle cleanser and makeup remover. All you have to do is use it is put it on a cotton pad and gently wipe along the face. This is a 24-hour product that you can use daily at A.M. or P.M. with no need to rinse! The Micellar Cleansing Eco Reusable Pads (which are perfect to use with the Micellar Cleansing Water!) are also reusable and cut down on waste.

Garnier’s Sleek & Shine Shampoo and Conditioner controls frizz for 72 hours and stands against 97% humidity, which is a must for when the weather starts to get humid at Howard. This product is infused with argan oil and keratin plant-based amino acids – similar to natural ones found in hair. After you lather the shampoo and thoroughly cleanse, follow up with the Sleek & Shine conditioner from root to tip and rinse.

Garnier has made a commitment to continue to be greener, and is approved by Cruelty Free International and with 99% vegan ingredients*, and has a goal to use 100% recycled plastic by 2025. Not only do we love Garnier products, but we also really admire how a leading beauty brand is paving the way toward more accessible and sustainable beauty options for beauty lovers across the globe.

Make sure that you use the #OneGreenStep hashtag to promote greener living by sharing what steps you are taking to better the environment. If you want to get inspired to go green and participate in a powerful activity, Her Campus at Howard would love for you to join us on April 19th at our event, Recyle-thon: Park Clean Up! This event is a spin on the traditional marathon. It has been proven in many studies how harmful the mix of plastic in everyday waste and wildlife habitats can be. To prevent this outcome as much as possible, recycle bins will be placed around campus specifically in dorm rooms to help the separation of dangerous waste. We will also be cleaning up at a local park near Howard University. For more updates on what is happening, check out our Instagram @hercampushu for updates. We hope to see you there! 

*footnote: no animal derived ingredients

This is a sponsored article. All opinions are 100% our own.

Hi my name is Hunter Nicole Stevens and I am a sophomore journalism major at Howard University from Virginia Beach, VA. I currently write for The Hilltop, HerCampus, and HBCU Pulse.