Wellness

How to Avoid Getting Sick When the Weather is Changing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

In the past two weeks, the weather has given us whiplash!  Going from 85 degrees and sunny to 55 degrees with high winds is a tough thing to get adjusted to. Unfortunately, these adjustments come with runny noses, sore throats, coughing, sneezing, and other unwanted ailments. As college students trying to balance a busy schedule, it can sometimes seem impossible to stay healthy.  As we prepare for the intense winter coming our way, here are some tips to help you stay healthy during this season. 

Source: Pixabay

Washing your hands may seem like common sense, but many of us actually forget to wash our hands after touching numerous door handles, tables, and other people’s hands all day.  Viruses become more abundant and thrive in cooler temperatures.  This is why people who suffer from allergies or a weak immune system are more prone to catch the common cold. 

Source: Pixabay

Drinking water is always good for you, but during this season it’s even more important!  When we’re sick, fluids become even more important because our bodies are dehydrated.  Avoiding caffeine is essential.  Instead of drinking a coffee while sick, try some tea, soup, sports drinks, or just plain water. 

Source: Pixabay

This might seem impossible in college, but getting enough sleep in the winter is imperative.  Sleep is vital to your overall health, and making sure that you have a consistent sleep schedule is guaranteed to improve your energy level.  Without proper sleep, your body will take longer to get better due to lack of energy.  If you’re already sick and feeling low on energy, just do your homework and study in bed. 

Source: Pixabay

If you don’t use one already, humidifiers are a great way to help prevent sickness.  Not only does it keep your airways from drying out, but it keeps your hair and skin hydrated as well.  As I said before, while sick your body is super dehydrated, so making sure every part of you is hydrated is key to getting better and staying healthy.  Many humidifiers have places for essential oils, so if you’re a fan of those I recommend using lavender or eucalyptus.  Lavender is said to help you sleep better and eucalyptus helps with headaches and nasal congestion. 

Veronica is currently a freshman at Howard University, and is majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. She loves reading, writing (obviously), listening to music, and advocating for the Black and LGBTQ+ communities. She hopes to impact the world using her voice and her writing abilities, and is always ready to partake in a political debate!