Hot Girl Summer May Depend on Vaccinated Girl Spring: It’s Up to YOU.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

I would not wish these past long and tiresome 13 months on my worst enemy. The COVID-19 pandemic has robbed us college students of two spring breaks, a summer vacation, family holiday gatherings, and a traditional college life. Now that vaccinations are rolling out and President Biden has declared all eligible adults will be able to begin the vaccination process on April 19, is the end near? Is the pandemic finally coming to an end? Would a Vaccinated Girl Spring bring about a Hot Girl Summer !?

Moreover, so many of you are wondering, “Is the vaccine really safe? Will I get COVID from the vaccine? How was it created in less than a year? I’m young, so I’ll be fine if I caught Coronavirus, anyways. Right?” Well, let’s talk about this vaccine and the good, bad, and ugly it comes with. 

The Good

The vaccine is safe. Extensive research and clinical trials were conducted before the needle was ever approved to enter your arm. The Food and Drug Administration conducted multiple phases of clinical research prior to approval, and the FDA will only approve a vaccine if it is safe and effective and its benefits outweigh potential risks. 

“How is the FDA sure that the vaccine is so safe? Vaccines typically take years to develop, and this vaccine took less than one year to make!?” For starters, the vaccine was made using mRNA technology that scientists have been studying for more than a decade and have been developing for years. In fact, the Obama administration designated a committee that prepared for emerging infectious diseases in response to Ebola and Zika virus outbreaks during his time in office. While in office, Obama decided to invest in this very mRNA vaccine research which significantly contributed to the quick vaccine development for the Coronavirus. It’s also important to note that mRNA vaccines have a “non-infectious element”, meaning that you are NOT being injected with a live virus. 

“This helps explain how the vaccine was made quickly, but how do we know it’s safe?” Thousands of strangers have already tested the “safety” element out for you! Isn’t the world full of nice people? The FDA has already tested out the vaccines on willing human volunteers. Clinical trials are closely monitored and conducted in small groups before expanding to larger test groups. At each stage, full health examinations are administered to each patient. Any sign that the vaccine would cause harm would immediately eliminate the vaccine from being distributed.

The Not So Good

Many adults who have received their vaccines have reported side effects. After taking the vaccine, one may expect headaches, injection site pain, fever, and more. That does not sound fun! However, the CDC and FDA assures that these side effects are normal reactions when a vaccine is injected to our bodies. Typically, this is a sign of our bodies building immunity against the virus. 

Vaccines won’t truly protect and help til a larger percentage of the population is vaccinated and herd immunity is developed. A vaccine protects a person individually and reduces the risk of high sickness, but a vaccinated person can still be a carrier and cause a non vaccinated person to be sick.

The Not So Good: Rumors

Rumors spread like wildfire. They cause confusion and mislead individuals when making informative decisions about getting vaccinated. Here are some common misconceptions: 

“Teenagers and young adults can’t easily catch COVID, but if they do, they’ll only have mild symptoms because their bodies are strong enough to fight it off.” FALSE! The 18-24 age group is currently leading in Covid-19 infections, followed by ages 25- 34. While this age group may not lead in deaths, they lead in infections which increases the likelihood of 18- 24 year olds spreading COVID to other 18- 24 year olds and family members. It is important to remember that COVID knows no limits when it come to age, race, sex, or any other identifying factor. Long term effects of catching Coronavirus include headaches, shortness of breath, chest pain, sleep problems, and more.

“Vaccines affect women’s fertility.” FALSE! There is no evidence that the COVID-19 vaccine causes infertility or affects pregnancy. Whether you plan to get pregnant sooner or later, rest assured that the vaccine will not harm your potential to get pregnant. 

“I had COVID already. I don’t need the vaccine.” Once again, FALSE! One thing research has not proven is how long you won’t get sick again after being infected. It’s also rare, but possible, that you can be infected with COVID again. Why not avoid the risk of becoming reinfected by being vaccinated?

Whew, this was a bunch of information, but hopefully, it helps you understand more about the COVID-19 vaccine. Remember to be responsible, be safe, and if you’re up to it, get vaccinated. After all, enough socially responsible participation for #VaccinatedGirlSpring will get us another step closer to #HotGirlSummer!

For more information about the facts used in this article, check out the CDC and 

John Hopkins Medicine website!

Hi! My name is Brielle; I'm a sophomore honors Public Relations major at Howard University. I enjoy cheerleading, traveling, and writing. Thanks for reading my articles!
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD