Culture > News

HBCU Students Speak Out Against Series of Terrorist Threats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

In the past month, various historically black colleges and universities, HBCUs, have received bomb threats. The first series of threats were issued in early January before most students returned to campus. The second and third threats were received January 31 and February 1–just 24 hours apart. Some colleges and universities responded by canceling classes and offering counseling services, whereas others opted not to do the same. Many Black students were worried about their safety and the lack of emphasis on possible racial motives behind the threats. 

American educational institutions are no stranger to threats. School shootings like the Columbine Massacre and Sandy Hook Elementary shooting have put the nation on edge. For the past decade, compulsory schools have been training their students to take shelter in the event of a terrorist attack. But what happens when the terrorists put your collegiate experience at risk? What happens when it’s a series of racially targeted threats to your historical institution? 

“It feels like these people doing these threats do not want to see young Black minds be brilliant,” says a freshman at Spelman College. “It makes me sad that getting bomb threats could be my new normal.” According to the student, the Atlanta Police Department swept for explosives with dogs, and nothing was found. The university temporarily went on lockdown and resumed classes as normal. The historical all-women college has been threatened numerous times over the past 30 days. Many Spelmanites are concerned that these threats are not being taken seriously by government authorities. “All it takes is one bomb to actually go off at a beloved HBCU for actual concern,” the student expresses. 

Similar sentiments were expressed by Howard University students, as this isn’t the first time students have been concerned about their safety and education this academic school year. In September of 2021, the university was under a cyber attack for weeks. Now, Howard is receiving more media attention for being one of the top HBCUs to receive bomb threats. A freshman computer information systems major at the university expressed her concerns about the university’s reactions to the events: “I’m a freshman, last semester we had the cyber attack and now it’s bomb threats. It’s like they aren’t doing much to combat it. [The bomb threats] has changed my view on the school. I held them to a higher standard previously.” After every attack, students were expected to attend class just yards away from where attackers threatened to bomb the university.

At Howard University, campus security was increased as well as the presence of Metropolitan police officers. While some officers appear to be vigilant, other officers are negligent. Another freshman at Howard University said, “I feel like because it’s an open campus anybody can just walk on and do anything.” 

The university sent out an email after the threats stating counseling would be available to students. However, many bison say the university’s counseling services aren’t the best. According to a freshman international relations major, the university is “notorious for not responding.” 

Not every HBCU has resumed classes following these alarming calls. A junior at Fort Valley State University said the university canceled classes on February 1, and the university remained on lockdown to investigate the incident. Many HBCUs reported that classes would be canceled and urged students to stay vigilant. 

As of right now, the FBI has identified six “tech-savvy” juveniles as suspects. It is believed that the calls were racially motivated. 

The Spelmanite challenges the nation’s priorities. “[If] this situation happened at all the [predominantly white institutions] ivy leagues it would be taken more seriously. Black people are constantly put at the back burner of society.”  

Alecia is currently a sophomore Journalism major, English minor at Howard University. She was born and raised in Kansas City, Kansas (but don't let the Kansas part fool you!). Growing up Alecia enjoyed reading, writing and talking...a lot! These hobbies quickly transformed into a passion for storytelling and journalism. When she is not writing a story or reading a book, she is sleeping her time away.