Happy Women’s History Month! Celebrating Women In Sports for 31 days and Beyond

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Women in sports are some of the most resilient, courageous and strongest people on the entire planet. They battle constant racism, sexism, misogyny, and yet still always rise to the occasion. 

Women like former World No.1 and Grand Slam tennis champion Serena Williams battled a near-death experience after giving birth to her daughter and still holds the record for the most Grand slams one by a female in the Open tennis era. 

Without women in sports, young girls like myself would never believe that there was a place for them in this world. 

Additionally, after watching the decade-long success of the Williams sisters, enjoying the success of Gabby Douglas and Simone Biles, and witnessing history from gymnastics champion Suni Lee, there truly is no limit to what we as women can accomplish.

During this Women’s History Month, is it very important to not only highlight and pay homage to all the women in this world that have fought for equal rights and challenged society’s stereotypes but to also shine a light on women in sports and the success and achievements that they were able to achieve.

Track phenomenon Wilma Rudolph overcame incredible odds to become an Olympian at the age of 16. As Wima was diagnosed with Polio at a young age and lost the feeling in her leg for some time, it seemed almost impossible that she would be able to lead a normal life. 

However, due to never giving up, always believing in herself, and staying true to who she is, Wilma Rudolph is regarded as one of the most fierce women in track and field. She not only captured several gold medals at the Olympics, but she also broke at least three world records as well. 

It is because of women like Wilma Rudolph that belief in oneself will carry you on so very far in life. 

Similar to Wilma Rudolph’s story, surfer Bethany Hamilton overcame insufferable odds after losing her arm in a shark attack.

A professor surfer, Hamilton dreamed of conquering her fears and becoming the best, but was unfortunately halted only for a short while, after a shark attack out in the waters. 

Hamilton, like Rudolph, did not let her circumstances stop her from achieving greatness. She went on to continue her professional surfing career and is also a motivational speaker. 

Women like Wilma Rudolph and Bethany Hamilton exemplify the resilience and strength that we as women obtain. It is not only important to highlight who they are as athletes, but showcase all of their greatness during Women’s History month as well. 

Women deserve to not be celebrated for a couple of days in a year, but treasured and honored for their tenacity year round. Without them, this world would simply be incomplete. 

Happy Women’s History Month!

Hello ladies! My name is Alex D. Williams! I am currently a sophomore, broadcast journalism major/ sports administration minor from New Orleans, Louisiana. My goal in life is to be a sports analyst on ESPN one day, and I believe writing allows us to freely express our ideas openly and honestly.