Happy Belated Birthday Serena Williams! 5 Reasons Why She is the GOAT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

GOAT- Greatest Of All Time. A term traditionally referenced to when talking about NBA Basketball Champion Michael Jordan or NFL Super Bowl Champion Tom Brady. The term has also been used and evaluated for decades. However, 23x Grand Slam Champion Serena Williams, outright owns this title. 

Since turning pro in 1995, Serena and her sister Venus Williams have dominated the sport of tennis in every aspect. Both women have revolutionized the game of tennis and showed little black girls that they too could have a space in a white-male dominated world. She is a revolutionizer, trendsetter, icon, and in the following piece, I will share why she is simply the greatest of all time. 

1. World Champion. Serena Williams has won 23 grand slams titles throughout her career (73 singles titles). She is a 7x Australian Open Champion, 3x Roland Garros French Open Champion, 7x WiImbledon Champ, and 6x US Open Champion. Williams also formed one of the greatest doubles teams known to man with her sister Venus Williams. Together, they have captured 23 doubles titles and were ranked consistently among the top doubles rankings in the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA). 
  1. Hero. Serena Williams has been a model of excellence and class to the next generations of young tennis stars. She has inspired millions of young girls around the world, that they too could achieve anything that they put their minds to. Her earnings on the court have been just as meaningful off the court, and her reach continues to spread world wide. Because of the trailblazing path set by Serena Williams, young tennis stars like CoCo Gauff, Sloane Stephens, Naomi Osaka, Madison Keys, Taylor Townsend, and several others have taken the sport of tennis by storm. Williams truly is an inspiration to young women everywhere. 
  1. Fighter. Serena Williams has been incredibly vocal about the challenges she faced during her pregnancy with her daughter Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr. Facing the harsh realities of what black women have faced and continue to face during maternity. Williams has used her platform to bring awareness to the systematic issue that Black women are three times more likely to die during childbirth than white women, and WIlliams has outwardly vocalized the disparity. Not only is she a warrior, because she won the Australian Open pregnant, but even after returning to the sport, she has continued to make deep runs into major tournaments. 
  1. Fashion Icon. From her braids, fashionable outfits, and nails, Serena WIliams has leveled up the game of tennis like never before. Everytime she and her sister have graced the court, her outfits completely draw in the crowd. Adding fashion has not only made her a trailblazer, but she has revolutionized her look by creating her own clothing brand, jewelry lines, and tennis shoes. There is simply nothing she can’t do. 
  1. Conqueror- Regardless of the recent setbacks that Serena Williams has faced, she has continued to prove all of the naysayers wrong every single time. Even if she never wins another grand slam, she will go down in history as one of the greatest and most decorated female athletes not only in the sport of tennis, but of all time. She has revolutionized, transcended and upgraded the sport of tennis for all of the world to see. She continues to be an inspiration for young women around the globe, while also being a mother, wife, sister and friend. 

So, happy belated 40th birthday to the GOAT! Continue to inspire and empower the next generation of young women that will change and lead this world forward.

Hello ladies! My name is Alex D. Williams! I am currently a sophomore, broadcast journalism major/ sports administration minor from New Orleans, Louisiana. My goal in life is to be a sports analyst on ESPN one day, and I believe writing allows us to freely express our ideas openly and honestly.