This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Imara Moore

Growing up as a young Black girl in the early 2000s consisted of listening to R&B icons like Brandy, Monica, Toni Braxton, and so many more. The melodic feels and hypnotizing beats helped create a new sound of music that inspired so many great artists today. Girl groups helped create a shift in the music industry, while inspiring individuality and confidence for young women all over the world. Groups like Destiny’s Child, TLC, Blaque & Danity Kane, all created iconic singles and albums that still resonate with many people. However, in the most recent years, r&b girl groups have diminished. 

All until 2019, when British girl group FLO was created and they brought back the old school vibe we grew up on. The three members: Jorja Douglas, Stella Quaresma, and Renee Downer, are tapping into the classic girl-group aesthetic that our generation has been missing. Formed nearly three years ago, they’ve already created a huge impact and became Apple’s Global Up Next Artist in 2022. 

The group’s “making of the band” story actually started with a simple video. Stella and Renee went to theater school together as children, but once they saw Jorja post a video on Instagram, they were immediately drawn to her. Since then, the three have been inseparable and went on to create their first single that shifted the music scene. 

Their song, “Cardboard Box” debuted last spring, gaining over 5.5 million views on Youtube. The song focused on forgetting an ex and moving on after a breakup, hence putting their things in a ‘cardboard box.’ The fun, playful music video brought back a wave of nostalgia for listeners and they became a force to be reckoned with. The remix to the song became an overnight sensation on Tik Tok and has over one million views. The song was produced by MNEK, a British producer who has previously collaborated with Beyonce and Zara Larsson. 

In July 2022, they released their first EP, “The Lead” that features 5 soulful, fun songs that represent navigating your early 20’s as a Black girl. “Immature,” their second single released, features beats that feel heavily inspired by Aaliyah and Timbaland. This dynamic trio has sparked up so much attention in the past months with their odes to r&b, that respected artists in the industry like Missy Elliott and SZA have noticed them and applauded their music publicly. 

With the release of their new single, “Losing you,” FLO is set to take over worldwide. This past winter, they’ve performed with rising artist, “PinkPantheress” at her shows in the UK and have even been considered as opening acts for Beyonce’s Renaissance Tour

this year. The trio has now surpassed over 3 million listeners on Spotify and recently won BBC Sound of 2023. 

Any listener can attest that the y2k era has heavily inspired FLO. They’ve figured out a way to bring the nostalgia back for the older audiences, while providing the younger ones with a modernized, trendy sound. FLO highlights the art of friendship, girl power, and relatability to many fans all over the world. Jorja, Stella, and Renee have already inspired so many upcoming artists with their style and music this past year and listeners should be on the lookout for their debut album this year.

Corinne Dorsey is a freshman journalism major at Howard University. Corinne is currently a freelance writer for theGrio and a contributing writer for The Hilltop, Her Campus, and Teen Graffiti Magazine. Corinne is also a radio show host for “Hard to Swallow” on WHBC 96.3. In Corinne’s free-time she enjoys spending time with friends, trying new foods, reading the latest magazine issues, exploring the city, and improving her photography skills. Post Graduation, Corinne plans to work in the media as a multimedia journalist for a magazine or TV network. Digital Portfolio: https://corinnedorsey.journoportfolio.com/