Black Girl Beauty Landing Hero Image
Black Girl Beauty Landing Hero Image
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media

Five Women in Fashion to Remember this black history month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

February is a time of recognition and celebration of Black History by honoring leaders who tirelessly fought for our freedom and equality. Alongside Black History Month, this is the time where American fashion is at its peak, for the global gathering of New York Fashion Week from February 6th to February 12th. Many milestones within fashion are credited to the countless number of black women who broke boundaries for modern-day mavens in fashion. Her Campus Howard honors five black women in fashion who have made monumental strides in fashion and expanded representation in the industry.

1. Ophelia DeVore Mitchell 

Ophelia DeVore was an American model, businesswoman, and publisher. She was born on August 12th, 1921 and passed on February 28th, 2014. She is known for being the first model of African- American descent within the United States. DeVore is also the founder of the first-ever black modeling agency in America established in 1946.

2. Zelda Wynn Valdes 

Zelda Wynn Valdes was an African American fashion designer and costume designer. She was born on June 28th, 1905 and passed on September 26th, 2001. She became the first Black designer to open up a fashion store on Broadway street in New York in 1948. She is also known for being the first Black Fashion Designer and commonly credited for designing the original PlayBoy Costume.

3. Donyale Luna 

Donyale Luna was an American model and actress. She was born on August 31st, 1945 and passed on May 17th, 1979. She is known for being the first black model to appear on the cover of  British Vogue and the first black supermodel in 1966. 

4.Beverly Johnson

Beverly Ann Johnson is a renowned American model, businesswoman, actress, and singer. She was born on October 13, 1952, in Buffalo, NY. She is known for being the first African-American model to cover American Vogue in 1974. Johnson also became the first African-American woman to appear on the cover of the French edition of Elle Magazine in 1975.

5.Naomi Campbell 

Naomi Elaine Cambell is an English model, businesswoman, and actress. She was born on May 22nd, 1970 in London, England. Known for being discovered at the young age of fifteen years old, Cambell repeatedly made history as one of the most recognizable models in the industry. She was the first black model to cover French Vogue in 1988 and she was the first black model on the cover of US Vogue’s iconic September issue in 1989.

As we prepare for the 2020 looks of NYFW, remember to pay homage to black models, designers, business women, and photographers who have taken huge strides in the fashion industry.

Corinne Dorsey is a freshman journalism major at Howard University. Corinne is currently a freelance writer for theGrio and a contributing writer for The Hilltop, Her Campus, and Teen Graffiti Magazine. Corinne is also a radio show host for “Hard to Swallow” on WHBC 96.3. In Corinne’s free-time she enjoys spending time with friends, trying new foods, reading the latest magazine issues, exploring the city, and improving her photography skills. Post Graduation, Corinne plans to work in the media as a multimedia journalist for a magazine or TV network. Digital Portfolio: https://corinnedorsey.journoportfolio.com/
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.