Five Movies That Will Make You Feel the Love in the Air

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Valentine’s Day is vastly approaching, and it can oftentimes be a difficult reminder of our love lives. Although some of us may not have a Valentine this year, it is important to still be optimistic about finding love because it is out there for everyone. I get the impression that being “open for love” is gentleness. It resembles a readiness to see love wherever it may be. It resembles having the capacity to accept affection in any circumstance. These five movies display the willingness of a woman to open her heart despite the heartbreaks and difficulties that they have been through.

Love Jones (1997)

Following an accidental encounter in a Chicago bar, Darius (Larenz Tate), an aspiring writer, and Nina (Nia Long), an aspiring photographer, instantly bond. The two become friends via poetry, photography and music before starting a passionate relationship. The future of the relationship is put in peril when Nina chooses to go to New York and repair her relationship with her ex-fiancé, Marvin (Khalil Kain).

How Stella Got Her Groove Back (1998)

Stella Payne (Angela Bassett), a prosperous stock trader in her forties from San Francisco, California, is convinced to travel to Jamaica by her vibrant New York City lover Delilah Abraham (Whoopi Goldberg). She runs into Winston Shakespeare (Taye Diggs), a muscular young islander, while she takes in the beauty of the place. His advances become a passionate affair, forcing Stella to assess her life and strike a balance between her need for love and companionship and her obligations as a mother and business executive.

Love and Basketball (2000)

Both Monica Wright (Sanaa Lathan) and Quincy McCall (Omar Epps) grew up in the same area and have known each other since they were little. They fall in love as they mature into adults, but they also have a second, equally intense interest in common: basketball. Through high school and college basketball, they eventually pursue separate career paths with the hopes of becoming major league professional ball stars.

Brown Sugar (2002)

The friendship and start of Sidney (Sanaa Lathan) and Dre (Taye Diggs) can be traced back to their careers and a single childhood memory—observing the emergence of hip-hop on a New York Street corner. After almost 15 years, he is a successful music executive who is also unsatisfied, while she is a renowned music critic. Both come to understand that in order to pursue their genuine passions in life, they must keep in mind the lessons they learned that day on the corner.

Just Wright (2010)

Physical therapist Leslie Wright (Queen Latifah) is a straight shooter who lands the opportunity of a lifetime working with NBA All-Star Scott McKnight (Common). Everything is going well until Leslie starts having feelings for Scott, which forces her to decide between employment and her internal struggle. Unaware of her attempts at courtship, McKnight finds himself attracted to Morgan (Paula Patton), a family friend of Leslie who dreams of marrying an NBA champion.
All of these women display resilience and optimism within their love lives. Although things may not have always worked out the way that they planned or wanted at the time, love always found its way due to their openness to receive it.

Hello, my name is Aysia Shelley! I am a junior criminology major, legal communications minor from New Baltimore, MI.