This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

In the modern world, family values have taken a major backseat. Instead of the long-lasting romance many young girls once aspired to obtain, it seems that hook-up culture has taken its place. Now, don’t get me wrong, a whirlwind, fairytale romance is not the most practical, however, is aspiring to date (and sleep) around with multiple people truly healthy for anyone? According to today’s socialites, it is. 

For example, young ladies sit through hours of Tik Tok, YouTube and their feeds on Instagram just to be encouraged by single women to move on from a romantic situation as soon as it no longer serves them. Although I believe that some influencers mean well when they promote this message, I also believe that in hindsight, it is only teaching young women to stray away from commitment. For those who, one day, would like to be married, such tips may be hurting more than helping them. 

Although I have never been married myself, I have always taken much fascination in the advice of older couples who have been married for decades. Though I have listened to various couples, they all seem to preach a similar message: that you will not always be happy with your spouse throughout the entirety of your marriage. I bring up this point because I have heard a bunch of younger couples break up or file for divorce because they weren’t “happy” anymore. 

It seems that in today’s time, it takes a whole lot less for couples to break off their relationships. Granted, in no way, shape, or form am I encouraging anyone to stay in a toxic and unhealthy situation. However, I do think it’s important to honor commitments and not be so quick to break up with someone as soon as a bump appears in the road. 

Like many within lasting marriages have stated, it really is about seeing your commitment through until the end and truly deciding to be in it together, with your significant other. However, at the rate that modern-day society is going, I find it hard to believe that people will truly want to invest and put in the work required to keep a relationship going for longer periods of time. 

At the end of the day, I hope to see today’s divorce rate decline. But, if we are so quick to walk away over insignificant trials and tribulations during the dating stage, how will we ever be able to stay committed to marriage (for those of us who choose to go down that path)?

Jada White

Howard '26

I am a freshman, broadcast journalism major at Howard University. I am originally from Atlanta, Georgia.