This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

When it comes to relationships, some of us have had the unfortunate, but eye-opening, experience of being in an extremely toxic situation, me included. Most likely, our first experience was enough for some of us to literally never want to be with someone again or have MAJOR trust issues. The truth is,we all want love. We just don’t want to keep trying with different people. It’s exhausting!. In fact, you might miss the signs you need to leave your relationship in the present, but then you see them clearly when looking back or if you see your friend in the same predicament. How many times have you looked back at someone you used to talk to and thought, “Girl, what was I thinking?” I’m going to tell you the signs to HIT THE JETS! Get out of their girl before it’s too late!  If you think your relationship has grown to the state of being unhealthy, here are the five signs that might seem familiar.

Sarcasm

Not all sarcasm means you are in an unhealthy relationship. However, if your partner has a tendency to speak down to you, and you’ve communicated to them that it bothers you and it hasn’t changed their words or actions, you may need to consider leaving your relationship.  While every couple’s sense of humor is different, if your partner is consistently acting with condescension towards you, it may be time to check in with yourself. BOY BYE!

They’re Dismissive

All couples are different and it’s totally natural to go through arguments when dating someone long-term. However, if your partner constantly dismisses your presence when you’re together, you may need to ask yourself if you’re getting what you need from your relationship. If you consistently try to communicate how you feel and they always think you are trying to argue or invalidate your feelings, you need to evaluate that situation. BOY BYE!

They’re Lying To You

If you are being lied to or you are constantly lying to someone else to maintain peace, it may be time to stop deceiving yourself and start a dialogue with your partner. Stop falling for the idea/ potential in someone and focus on what they are showing you. White lies can add up in a relationship. At the end of the day, open and honest communication is the foundation of any strong connection. BOY BYE

Cheated On You

Whether or not you and your partner decide to stay together and work on your relationship after they cheat is entirely up to you. However, if your partner has cheated on you in the past and continues to keep you in the dark about certain people in their life, it may be time to consider their priorities.BOY BYE!

You’ve Grown Apart

It can be natural for people to drift apart; interests can change, goals can evolve, and your paths in life can diverge. If you are beginning to feel this way, the best thing you can do is open up to your partner about it as soon as possible. In cases like this, being honest with yourself and your partner really can be the best thing for both of you guys.

Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD