This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

College students and graduates are left pondering their eligibility for student loan forgiveness following the revelation of President Biden’s forgiveness initiative, totaling $6 billion.

In a statement issued on March 21,  President Biden announced that 77,700 borrowers would receive email confirmations regarding the cancellation of their student debt. According to a White House statement, eligibility for the forgiveness program is extended to those employed in school systems, nursing, and firefighting.

“The Biden-Harris Administration is pleased to extend relief to an additional 77,700 borrowers who have contributed to their communities through public service,” said James Kvaal, the Under Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education. “We trust this relief will offer borrowers and their families much-needed respite.”

The weight of student loans proves burdensome for many, prompting President Biden to diligently pursue solutions for student loan forgiveness. The financial strain of loan repayment significantly impacts adults, hindering their ability to make purchases such as cars or homes and inhibiting investment opportunities.

In my opinion, despite past forgiveness notices for student debt, I felt a sense of helplessness upon hearing Thursday’s news of President Biden’s decision to allocate funds exclusively to those employed in the school system, nursing, and firefighting. 

What about individuals like myself? I attend an HBCU with tuition totaling 30K annually, and as a sophomore already burdened with significant debt, I find myself in a hard position. While I diligently apply for scholarships and annually complete my FASFA, is it sufficient when due to my parent’s combined income, I received little to no aid?

The pressure weighs heavily on me as a first-generation college student to excel academically while relentlessly pursuing scholarships. I am aware that once I graduate, the loan repayment will swiftly occur. Speaking from personal experience, I do not intend to diminish efforts made to alleviate student debt, but for individuals like myself, the prospect of financial debt is a daunting reality. 

As a sophomore, I am already strategizing how to graduate debt-free by 2026. No one should endure the stress of financial insecurity, especially in pursuit of education. I often feel that students are set up to fail deliberately in debt due to the cost of higher education. 

An alternative approach to the student debt crisis is the newly established SAVE program, spearheaded by President Biden and Vice President Harris. The program, as outlined by the White House, bases payments on income and family size rather than the loan balance, ultimately forgiving remaining balances after a designated period. 

SAVE is projected to reduce monthly payments for numerous borrowers, preventing balance inflation due to unpaid interest and expediting the path to forgiveness.

As time progresses, it is hoped that more inclusive programs will emerge, ensuring debt relief accessibility for individuals regardless of their status post-graduation. 

Each administration should continue advocating for student loan forgiveness, recognizing that nearly all individuals encounter some form of post-college debt.

Roniya Johnson is a dynamic individual with a passion for journalism and content creation. She currently serves as a member of the content team for HerCampus at Howard University, where she contributes by pitching and producing articles covering various topics such as monthly on-campus events, local news, and highlighting Black-owned businesses. This role allows her to develop her skills as a journalist and exercise her creative talents as a writer. Outside of her involvement with HerCampus, Roniya holds the position of a research liaison for RunitBack. In this capacity, she is responsible for creating comprehensive research presentations with engaging visuals. Her audience for these presentations includes executive board members, where she discusses current events in Washington, campus activities, and the latest trends in pop culture. She has honed her skills in digital content creation through her work on WordPress. Roniya regularly produces blog entries on a wide range of topics, from exploring the impact of journalism to decoding hidden messages in advertisements. Additionally, she has expanded her creative portfolio by delving into vlogging, where she creates content, designs thumbnails, and handles video editing. Her vlogs are also showcased on her WordPress site. Roniya's commitment to excellence is evident in her academic achievements. She earned a spot on the Cathy Hughes School of Communication's Dean's list during both the fall and spring semesters of her freshman year. She is currently a sophomore majoring in broadcast journalism at the prestigious Howard University. In her free time, Roniya enjoys indulging in activities that allow her to pamper herself. She loves shopping, dining out, and getting her hair and nails done—basically, anything that involves spending money. She's also an avid fan of the long-running TV series Grey's Anatomy, having watched all nineteen seasons. In essence, Roniya values looking and feeling her best and cherishes spending quality time with her loved ones.