This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Valentine’s Day has always been a dreaded holiday for singles everywhere. But what if it didn’t have to be? This year, I’m embracing my single-ness and celebrating a new holiday instead, Anti-Valentine’s Day. But just because it’s “anti” Valentine’s day, it doesn’t mean it’s a day of hate, envy, or lust. It should be a day of self-love, care and expression. Let’s start a new tradition of celebrating ourselves for once!

To kick off the Anti-Valentine weekend, start the day off by making yourself a full breakfast, like the big platters you get at iHop. Next, knock out some chores; do whatever it is you need to do to be worry-free over the weekend. Finally, get ready, you’re going out! A hot shower with all the fixings: scrubs, soaps, and lotions, even throw a face mask in the mix, give yourself the spa treatment of a lifetime. After you’re all ready, your self-adventure awaits… Go do the things you’ve always wanted to do, but didn’t because you had no one to do it with. Whether it’s trying a new restaurant or going to a museum, seeing a movie, or even just making a Target trip. 

It can be scary at first, to gain the confidence to go out alone. Especially during a time of love and companionship, but after you get to enjoy all the things that make you feel good, the loneliness melts away. You’re no longer lonely because you’re getting to enjoy the peace in your own presence. You no longer have to consider anyone else’s preferences and you’re free to do whatever you please. That in itself is worth it! 

The rest of the weekend is really up to you. You can be adventurous and pick a city or town near you to walk around and explore. You can treat yourself to some shopping, mani/pedis, or even a guilty pleasure. It doesn’t matter what you choose to do, as long as you’re happy while you’re doing it.  

You can even make Anti-Valentine’s a group event if you have other single friends! My friends always throw the best kickbacks with cute themes and games! Plus when you go out with friends, it makes everything less scary. Friends make the best wingmans too, so don’t be shy to meet someone new too! 

No matter what day Valentine’s Day falls on, you can always celebrate Anti-Valentine’s Day. Self-love should be an everyday practice. Even the little things like taking 20-30 minutes a day to yourself. The more time you spend with yourself, the more your self-love will grow.

Welcome to Planet Lanae: a world filled with kindness, adventure, and advocacy. My interest include Sports/Fitness, Food, and Music. I hope you enjoy my articles and learn something new in the process :) If you want to see more of my content, follow me on instagram @planetlanae