oscar 3679610 1920?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
oscar 3679610 1920?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Angela Bassett Deserves Her Flowers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

The Oscars were held on Sunday, March 12, which actress Angela Bassett and her family attended. She was nominated for best supporting actress for her role in “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” and accompanied by her two children and husband, who voiced that they accompanied her to see her win this long overdue award. Unfortunately, Bassett lost the Oscar to Jaime Lee Curtis for her performance in “Everything Everywhere All at Once.” When the award was announced, Bassett was left visibly disappointed. Not only did she display this emotion for herself, but for many Black men and women who continue to be underrepresented at award shows. Black women are routinely undervalued, insulted, overworked, underpaid and disregarded. “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” “What’s Love Got to Do With It” and “How Stella Got Her Groove Back” are just a few of the astounding performances that Bassett deserves her flowers for. 

“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever:” Bassett plays Queen Ramonda, who is tasked with taking the throne of Wakanda directly following her son’s passing. While dealing with grief, she not only has to keep her family together, but also has a duty to protect her country. 

“What’s Love Got To Do With It:” Bassett plays the role of legendary singer Tina Turner who pursues music with the help of Ike Turner. As a musical team, they are very successful, but their tumultuous relationship leaves Tina with a difficult decision to make. As she rises to stardom, she gains the courage to leave her abusive husband.

“How Stella Got Her Groove Back:” Angela Bassett plays the role of Stella Payne. She is a prosperous stock trader in her forties from San Francisco, California who is convinced to travel to Jamaica by her vibrant best friend. She meets a young, carefree man who offers a new outlook on life. His advances become a passionate affair, forcing Stella to assess her life and strike a balance between her need for love and companionship and her obligations as a mother and business executive.

All of these movies encompass the great actress that Bassett is, and there are many more that display her talents. It is important to give Black women their flowers, considering we live in a world that will rarely recognize the successes of Black women. This is not the first or last time that a Black man or woman will lose to their white counterpart at an award show, but amplifying and uplifting those Black voices will help keep the much needed representation in those spaces.

Hello, my name is Aysia Shelley! I am a junior criminology major, legal communications minor from New Baltimore, MI.