Style > Decor

7 Affordable Ways to Spruce Up Your Living Space

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

One of the best parts about having your own space is having the freedom to decorate it in the way that you want to express yourself. But maybe you aren’t quite ready to take the plunge on expensive decorative purchases, are still trying to figure out your sense of style, or need to make your dollars stretch. Fortunately, you’re in luck. Here are seven stylish and affordable ways to spruce up your living space while staying within your budget.

1. Wall Art Prints

If you’re an art lover like me, but can’t quite afford to have your favorite artist commission a personal piece for you, then you’re still in luck. Websites such as Etsy offer your pick of prints of famous paintings from legendary artists such as Frida Kahlo and Kerry James Marshall for as little as $7. Even better, you can buy sets with multiple prints from various artists for one low price and cover an entire wall with your art.

1. Decorative Vases/Bowls 

Vases and bowls score triple points for style, affordability, and functionality. Whether you use them simply for display or for their “intended” purposes of holding actual items, the accents are a great way to liven up your space and can be found virtually anywhere. The thrift store is a great place to find vases and bowls of all different shapes, sizes, and colors to fit the theme of your space for super low prices! 

1. Lego Sets 

By now I’m sure you’ve seen the viral, Lego Creator Collection Flower Bouquet set that’s been all across social media for months. While the set is currently sold out on Lego.com, the website still has a ton of other cool and reasonably priced sets you can assemble. The sets are super fun and therapeutic to put together and also make great conversation starters. 

1. Area Rugs 

The power of rugs to liven up a space simply can’t be overstated! Stack your rugs on top of one another, use it as a standout statement piece for your space, or match it with other decor. Take your pick of circular rugs, runner rugs, area rugs, and much more on Rugs.com, which currently has rugs as low as $19 in stock and is offering free shipping on all orders. 

1. Houseplants

Given their recent surge in popularity, this may seem like a no brainer, but houseplants are the perfect addition to any space. Depending on the size you have to work with, you can buy something as small as a bamboo shoot or as tall as a tree fern. Bonus: Research shows plants could potentially help reduce stress and anxiety.

1. Candles 

Candle innovation has come a long way. No longer are candles only for burning and making your space smell good; now, they’re for decoration too. The pandemic saw a boom in small candle-making businesses and the creativity and ingenuity have been boundless. Get candles in bold and bright neons, cozy neutrals, or creamy pastels in shapes such as flowers, clouds, rainbow arches, body figures, geometric shapes, and even wiggles!

1. Ornate Mirrors

This might seem cliché, but who doesn’t love a good mirror? In my opinion, go big or go home! A truly ornate and glamorous mirror is key; forgo the simple rectangular mirrors abundant at Walmart or 5 and Below and instead spend some time on Facebook Marketplace. People are always looking to get rid of gorgeous preloved mirrors for super low prices and sometimes even for free. 

Sophomore political science and international affairs major at Howard University from PG County, Maryland writing on all things political, cultural, and black!