5 Black Woman Documentaries You Need to be Watching on NETFLIX this Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

While HBO Max and Disney+ might be home to some of our favorite movies and series like “Insecure” and “Encanto”, Netflix has always been known to have hidden gems that you surely don’t want to miss. This Black History Month, be sure to check out these hidden gems of film featuring and centering the voices and experience of Black women. 

1. “Becoming” 

This documentary follows the story of our forever First Lady, Michelle Obama, as she journeys around the country sharing her latest book “Becoming”. From her life growing up in the south side of Chicago, to her attending Harvard and going on to become the First Lady of the United States, Michelle Obama shares her journey of becoming in this hour and a half film. 

1. “In Our Mothers’ Garden”

This film highlights the stories of Black women, such as Tarana Burke, and Black women from across the globe along with the women that contributed to making them who they are. The film highlights the power that Black matriarchs have and how that relationship shapes the lives and stories of their descendants.

1. “The Death and Life of Marsha P.”

The mother of the LGBTQ+ rights movement and leader of the stonewall riots–Marsha P. Johnson. Through videos and clips from LGBTQ+ life in 1970’s New York, “The Death and Life of Marsha P.” tells the story of transgender activist Victoria Cruz’s journey to finding the truth about the death of her friend Marsha P. Johnson. 

1. “What Happened, Miss Simone?”

“What Happened, Miss Simone?”, through never before heard audio and archival footage, tells the life and career of legendary blues singer and activist Nina Simone. 

1. “Ella Fitzgerald: Just One of Those Things” 

With her start at the Apollo Theatre in a 1934 talent contest, the film “Ella Fitzgerald: Just One of Those Things” follows Ella’s prolific career as a singer and the moments in her life that created the music we love and cherish today.

Eshe Ukweli

Howard '23

An intersectional advocate who incites change through truthful storytelling, authentic activism, and the craft of writing as liberation.