3 Things You Need to Know About Voting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

With all that is seen on the news and the challenges of day to day life, it seems as though it is nearly impossible to change the world around you. However, being able to change the way the country operates isn’t as difficult as you may think it is. It’s as simple as filling out a piece of paper or the simple push of a button. Voting is our most direct and significant form of political expression, and with the presidential election coming up, it is definitely important. For some, voting may seem like an intimidating experience. But with these tips, voting will not only be simple but also enjoyable.

Source: TheNation

1. Get to know your polling place

Most likely your polling place will be somewhere relatively close to where you live. Whether it be a school, community center, or church, your community’s polling place is the center for all those looking to vote. Make sure that before arriving you have any needed identification forms.

Source: Nonprofit Leadership Center 

2. Research the running candidates

Making the decision on who you are going to vote for is the most important part of voting. While it is important to vote for individuals that are well known, it is more important to vote for candidates with values and policies that align with your beliefs. Not only will these candidates be representing you and resolving some of your concerns, they’ll also be representing your community and maybe even the country as a whole. 

Source: Auburn Villager

3. Absentee ballots

If you’re reading this article, chances are you are currently in college. Maybe you’re 5 miles from home or 500 miles from home. No matter the situation, if you feel that you aren’t going to be able to vote on a designated day in your home city or state, make sure that you fill out an absentee ballot. Absentee ballots are for people who still reside in a certain area but are working or going to school in a place away from home. Each district or state’s rules regarding absentee ballots vary so be sure to get the correct information from your local party’s center.

In today’s day and age voting is nothing to be ignored or thrown to the side. Many people around the world don’t have the opportunity to vote like we do in America. Through voting we get to display our personal opinions while electing candidates who will best represent us. As we prepare for 2020, vote wisely and with hope for the future.

Simone Nixon is a senior biology major, chemistry minor from Maryland. She enjoys telling the stories of the world around her and hearing the stories of others. She plans to pursue a career in dentistry, while also pursuing her interests in lifestyle, beauty, and fashion.
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.