why you should read “november 9” by colleen hoover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

By: Marisa Monahan

If you are like me, you cannot get through a book. You’ve tried romance, mystery, and non-fiction but always seem to give up before you even reach 50 pages. All of your friends recommend Colleen Hoover’s books but you don’t even try because you don’t think you’ll be interested.

This is how I was before I read November 9. I have never been more excited about a book in my life. After each chapter, I would immediately text my friends and tell them all my thoughts about what just happened. As someone who wasn’t always the biggest reader, I was shocked when I finished the book in about three days.

I usually throw a book to the side after the first few chapters; however, November 9 had me captured from the very beginning. The story began abruptly in a restaurant, sharing the dialogue between a daughter and father with a broken relationship. The daughter, Fallon, nearly died in a fire a couple of years ago, covering her body with scars.

Fallon and her father are soon interrupted by a mysterious boy named Ben, who builds an immediate connection with Fallon.

Unlike other romance novels, November 9 introduces both characters and their connection in the first couple chapters. This was perfect for me as I never have the attention span to sit through a slow beginning of a story.

From the first chapter, I was on the edge of my seat, eager to know what was going to happen next. It is definitely a cute, feel-good story, but it leaves you on a cliff at the end of each part, so you are eager to read more.

It is also very interesting how the story is told from Fallon and Ben’s point of view. You get to know each character individually and get an inside look on their thoughts and feelings.

Since reading November 9, I have started It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover and plan to read many more of her books. I never knew one book could make reading one of my favorite hobbies.