victorious christmas?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
victorious christmas?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Nickolodeon / Netflix

Why ‘Last Christmas’ by Wham! is the Best Christmas Song

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

I find that Christmas music is a cure for anything. That might have some exaggeration to it, but I still love getting into the spirit of the season with holiday tunes. I have been listening to the same Spotify playlist that I created the day I made an account, and I stand by every single song on there. However, I frequently get asked, what is your favorite Christmas song, and if you had to choose the best one, what would it be? Each time I get more stumped, as more songs pop up in my mind that I simply cannot skip. So, I sat down and really thought about what my answer would be. It could change tomorrow, but at this very moment, I would say my favorite is the classic “Last Christmas” by Wham! and I am going to tell you why.

Although I love a good seasonal song full of jingle bells and ho-ho-ho’s, I find that the best Christmas songs are the ones to which you can listen year-round. For me, that usually means a pop song with a catchy chorus and one that can have a diverse group of listeners. Wham! is an English pop duo consisting of George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley. They had already racked up a fan base in their own right, so the success of “Last Christmas” was not shocking. 

“Last Christmas” is a song about heartbreak, love and loss, and failed relationships. When you carefully listen to the lyrics, it is somewhat of a sad song; however, this is completely contrasted by its upbeat tune. This is one of those songs to which I sang along confidently and positively as a kid, but can now fully appreciate every aspect of it. You can dance happily while singing about a major breakup. Wham! took a different route when creating “Last Christmas.” When you think of Christmas songs, you probably think cheery, bright, and full of love; however, George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley go the opposite path, using more melancholy lyrics to describe the holidays when you’re missing someone from your celebrations. There is extreme relatability in Michael’s passionate voice which makes it that much easier to belt out. I hope you all have a lovely holiday season blasting “Last Christmas” to your heart’s content!

Emily Johnson

Holy Cross '25

Junior English major at the College of the Holy Cross