This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Anytime I’ve ever been asked what I think the best social media platform is, my immediate answer is Pinterest. I have been on Pinterest since I was in fifth grade, so for about 8 years. It was the first social media platform I ever had, and growing up I was confused as to why more people didn’t have it. If you’re unfamiliar with Pinterest, it is an image sharing and social media service designed to enable the saving and discovery of information like recipes, home, style, motivation, and inspiration on the internet using images in the form of pinboards. Basically, you make a board, then add whatever pins you want to the boards. After being on Pinterest for so long I have around 20,000 pins and over 30 boards. 

So why do I love Pinterest so much? One reason is because of their home feed. Once you start saving pins to boards the site curates a custom home feed for you. So if you start saving pins about gold earrings, your home feed will start to show you all kinds of gold earrings on it. The home feed is also great for showing you things you would never know to look for. Based on the pins you look at and save, Pinterest will also show you pins that they think you will like. This is great for when you are looking to expand your horizons. The site will show you a cool pair of shoes you would have never thought to look for, or a travel destination that you’ve never heard of. An extension of this feature that I love is the recommended pins section. After you click on a pin, you can scroll down and see pins that Pinterest thinks you would also like. This is great for when you want more of what you see or can’t seem to find the exact thing you are looking for. Pinterest also can do a visual search on pins. My third and final reason why I love Pinterest is because of its organization. Every pin you save you choose which board to place it in, then within a board you can have sections where you further organize your pins. For a person who likes to stay organized and on top of everything, I love this feature. For example, in my travel board, I have pins for each different place I would like to visit. Or how my dream wedding board is separated into categories like rings, dresses, and venues. 

Simply put, Pinterest allows for organized creativity and the discovery of all kinds of topics. You can organize yourself a new wardrobe, or discover a new favorite animal. It’s a great platform that allows you to curate and arrange images, ideas, and topics, in any way you wish.

Emma Michienzi

Holy Cross '26

I am a sophomore chemistry major at Holy Cross! I love to read and listen to music. I'm also a huge formula one and football fan!