This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Why I love Matcha

Matcha is a form of green tea which originated in Asia. It provides a slow release of energy that keeps you calm and energized for hours more than coffee, which often leaves you with a crash and feeling jittery. I began drinking Matcha this past year, and I absolutely love it! It has such a nice taste and as a coffee hater, it has never made me feel sick or too jittery like coffee does. Matcha has many health benefits as well, including its high level of antioxidants, it can lead to weight loss, and even has been linked to preventing cancer and other diseases. Additionally, it is easy to make. All you need is Matcha powder, hot water, tools from a Matcha kit, and some milk if you want to add!

Get it on the go!

I have found that the best Matcha is usually from specialty places or local cafes, as there is not really any state wide chain that I can recommend, besides Cha Cha Matcha in NY and LA. I honestly hate the Starbucks Matcha, but I would recommend trying it from a few local cafes in your area. If you want some on campus, the cool beans one can be pretty good, but it depends on the day!

Buy it and make it yourself!

Another approach would be to make it yourself which is super easy and fun to make, since you know exactly where your drink is coming from! Companies such as Cha Cha Matcha, Jade Leaf Matcha and Chamberlain Coffee all have Matcha powder to buy! The first two companies listed have actual kits as well with the powder that show you how to make it and provide you the tools to do so!

I hope you go out and try some Matcha and love it as much as I do!

Ashley Bunici

Holy Cross '26

Ashley Bunici is from Long Island, New York and is a Political Science Major and Disability Studies Minor, on the pre-law track. She loves to volunteer and be involved in clubs, spend time with friends and family, and travel.