Why I Decided to Apply to Study Abroad in Granada, Spain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Studying abroad is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity

When I talk to any other Holy Cross student that has gone abroad, I only ever hear amazing things. They talk about how it was such an eye-opening experience that allowed them to grow so much as individuals. I also always think about how this is a unique opportunity to study in Spain, and get to immerse myself in a new culture across the world.

I want to practice my native language: Spanish

My first language was actually Spanish! Both of my parents were born in Mexico and made it a priority in my life to learn the language. But throughout schooling and especially in college, I no longer use it in my day to day life. I really want to practice my language because it feels like a form of connection to my culture. What better way to do this than studying in Spain!

I want to say YES to opportunities that come my way

I want to take every opportunity that comes my way and make the most of it! Even if I’m nervous or scared of going to a new country, I want to be able to take risks. Whether that be immersing myself in the culture, traveling, or meeting new people. This is the time for me to be comfortable with being uncomfortable.

I’ll update you guys when I’m in Spain lol

Xoxo Emi

Emily Arizmendi

Holy Cross '25

My name is Emily Arizmendi and I'm a junior at Holy Cross. I'm a Political Science and English Major from Zion, Illinois.