This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Not everyone loves the transition from summer to fall, I get it. And it can be especially difficult for a college student. Going from spending hours aimlessly tanning at the beach to spending most of your afternoons in the library isn’t the most exciting trade-off. But for some of us, the first changing leaf is a sign that the best time of the year is beginning.

Fall has been my favorite season for as long as I can remember, and although I could write a thesis on why this season is superior to the rest, I’ll keep it to a short and sweet list of five reasons.

1. The Crisp Air

I can’t think of anything better than the first time I cozy up with a blanket after months of cranking the fans on high to combat summer’s heat waves. Fall’s weather is such a breath of fresh air (literally and figuratively) that is so much more bearable than summer’s temperatures.

1. The Outfits

With changes in weather come changes in clothes. Summer fashion is pretty restricting; you can’t wear too many types of clothing without sweating, and you often end up wearing flip-flops every day. Fall, however, allows for a greater variety of wardrobes. Whether it’s wearing a comfy sweatshirt with flared leggings and UGGS for some Y2K inspo or wearing an oversized sweater with baggy jeans and sneakers, fall is the perfect time to show off your style and try out new outfit combinations.

1. Pumpkin Everything

I know that obsessing over pumpkin spice is a very millennial thing to do, but I can’t help it- it’s my guilty pleasure. From lighting pumpkin-scented candles daily to making the iconic Pillsbury pumpkin sugar cookies, I basically do as much as I can to embrace pumpkin. PS. if you’re looking for a new fall drink, the new Starbucks iced pumpkin cream chai latte is a game changer.

1. Halloween

It’s never too early to start scrolling through Pinterest or TikTok to plan out your Halloween costumes for you and your closest friends. Even more exciting than Halloween day for me, though, are Halloween movies.

1. A Fresh Start

A new season means a new opportunity to change your habits for the better! Some of the new habits I’ve established are going to the gym more frequently, drinking more water, and writing in my calendar to stay on top of my busy schedule.

Madeline Sughrue

Holy Cross '24

Maddie is a Psychology major and Italian studies minor from Winchester, MA. She loves listening to music, traveling, and all things pop culture!