What I’ve Learned From My First Year on the Hill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Although I have only been at Holy Cross for a year, I have found that college is not only about learning academically but also about growing socially. A new state, a new social scene, a new roommate (Hi Clare!), and a new sense of freedom, allow you to decide who you want to become and what you want to ultimately get out of these next four years. Here are some life skills I have acquired in my time spent on the hill thus far:

BE OPEN-MINDED!

I know, it’s way easier said than done, but remember that forgone experiences are wasted opportunities. Sign up for the blood drive in Hogan, dance with that random guy at Rumors, or stray from the pack at Kimball and try the tofu and rice option by the stir-fry (hey, there’s no line!) You’ll be amazed at the interesting and maybe a little absurd things that can happen when you break free from that little nagging voice in your head!

SHAKE IT OFF

In the moment, if you fumble your words in a class discussion, trip up the Dinand steps on your way back from class, or accidently WiGo message some cute senior, it might seem like the end of the world, but  at the end of the day, these things really don’t matter. And hey, you’ll probably make someone’s day when they see that someone else also broke one of the new colorful bowls at Kimball. It gives everyone a good laugh and hey in the wise words of TSwift just “shake it off!”

BE WEIRD

The point of college in my humble opinion is to be yourself and find your people (have you met the Christina to your Meredith?). When I come back to my dorm after a five-hour stay in a cubby deep in the swallows of Dinand, all that is on my mind is ranting to my friends about the day’s adventures. If you can’t do this without including your massive Facebook stalk of a certain sports team or the awkward moment when your feet quietly brushed the feet of the person on the opposite side of your cubby, then you should reevaluate yourself and your choice of companions. However, this state of mind also applies to parties and get-togethers too. Don’t let those girls standing in the corner of the 18×20 ft room you are currently inhabiting deter you from doing a quick dance on the coffee table. YOLO so you might as well be yourself and do you.

GET INVOLVED

Holy Cross has so many amazing opportunities and although you hear this from everyone, it is certainly very true! Don’t be afraid to try out the Zumba class at Hart with your friends or join one of the many clubs on campus that range from community service to acapella to intramural sport teams. There are so many opportunities that will not only help expand your social circle but also give you a much needed excuse to avoid doing your econ problem set. Also, popping into the career center every once in a while gives you a chance to learn about internship opportunities, gain feedback on resumes and cover letters, and just act as another resource for you to find out what you want to do with the rest of your life. Because, do any of us really know what we want to do after college let alone what we’re doing this coming weekend?