Weighing the Pros and Cons of Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Since applications are due November 7th, I’m sure the question on many sophomores’ minds is: do I study abroad? Personally, I have dreamed of studying abroad since I took my first French class in seventh grade. It was an obvious choice for me back then…of course I’d LOVE to spend a year in France! Even though I still recognize that it will be an amazing, life-changing opportunity, the choice is less apparent for me now as there are aspects I love about Holy Cross that will be hard to go without. Because this decision is so difficult, here are the pros and cons of studying abroad:

1. Pro: Achieving fluency in a foreign language.  Whether you’ve studied Spanish, German, or Mandarin, most students start a language with the ultimate goal of becoming fluent. This is really hard to achieve exclusively through classes. Physically living in the country makes this step significantly easier to accomplish when you’re completely immersed in the foreign language.
  2. Con: Missing HCThe thought of going a semester or a year without meandering among these stunning, ivy covered, brick buildings on the way to class is a little scary and overwhelming. By now, you probably bleed purple and have grown to love this little castle on the hill. Unfortunately, we only get four measly years here, so missing one seems unbearable.
  3. Pro: Experiencing a new cultureEven if you’d love to attend Trinity College in Ireland or Oxford in England, where a foreign language isn’t necessary, you will be immersed in an entirely new culture. Though the idea of this can be scary, consider how much you’ll grow as a person. Assimilating successfully in a new country is an impressive feat that will undoubtedly provide you with a new perspective on life.
  4. Con: Missing the peopleI think this is the most significant deterrent from studying abroad. We’ve all formed important relationships and connections here at Holy Cross and at home: friends, boyfriends, parents, pets, maybe even professors! These are the people you’ve grown accustomed to and who mean so much to you. It is hard to imagine spending a day without these people…let alone a whole year!
  5. Pro: This really is the ideal timeWhen in our lives are we going to be in the position where we are brimming with potential and independence and lack serious responsibilities? Sure, we might travel when we’re older and maybe even spend some time in a foreign country. However, you’re probably going to have other factors tying you down. This is one of the only times in our lives where we can essentially be totally selfish. And that’s a good thing! We can figure out who we truly are, what we want in life, and how to achieve it. This truly is a luxury that one should enjoy to the fullest.

All in all, you need to figure out what is the best move for you personally. Figure out your priorities and choose what will make you happiest in the long run; you don’t want to live with disappointment. It can be helpful to talk to a study abroad advisor or students who have returned from the program. Regardless of your decision, choose it for yourself and not for anyone else.

Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter.