Life > Experiences

Unconventional Travel Destinations You Should Consider

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

My travel experience is somewhat limited, which has inspired me to create a bucket list that consists of places I dream of visiting someday. Here are a few ideas that I have come up with that may stray away from what’s considered the “norm,” such as a classic trip to the Caribbean, for example.

U.S. Options:

Lake Powell, Utah

This man-made reservoir that actually crosses into two states (Utah and Arizona) consists of amazing rock formations and calm waters. It is the perfect place to partake in boating, fishing, and plenty of water sports.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming

If you like to ski or snowboard, this could be the destination for you. The vast mountains act as a gateway to both Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks, which consist of some of the most amazing nature that this country has to offer. 

Smoky Mountains, Tennessee

Tennessee has a lot more to offer than country music and vibrant nightlife. Venture from an urban setting and check out the Smoky Mountains! Wildlife and waterfalls are omnipresent here, making this destination a hiker’s paradise.

Cannon Beach, Oregon

This coastal city in the northwest part of the state is home to beautiful tidepools and extensive birdlife. Haystack Rock, a particularly recognizable landmark, stands tall on the picturesque beach itself.

International Options:

The Azores Islands

My parents have expressed interest in visiting this region located off the shore of Portugal a few times now. The wild hydrangeas and lush greenery that cover the Islands are more than enough to convince me to go!

Iceland

There truly is not a much more unique destination than Iceland. You could see not only glaciers and volcanoes but even have the opportunity to witness the northern lights in person.

Croatia

Visiting Croatia’s coast has been on my travel wishlist for as long as I can remember. As someone who loves the ocean, the turquoise waters of the Adriatic Sea are calling my name!

Meredith McDonough

Holy Cross '26

Meredith is a sophomore from Woburn, MA who enjoys writing, dance and spending time with friends!