Trick or Treat – Best (and Worst) Fall Sweets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

The Best

Pillsbury Pumpkin and Ghost Sugar Cookies (frozen) 

Some of my earliest memories involve these cookies. I vividly remember stealing the frozen balls of dough off the cookie sheet behind my mom’s back. To this day, I still think these cookies taste much better raw than baked (eat at your own risk of Salmonella). 

Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups

Timeless. I am shamelessly a HUGE Reese’s girl. I love peanut butter and I love chocolate, so these have always, always, always ranked highly on my candy list. Every time I go out for ice cream, I order peanut butter cup in a waffle cone. At random points in the day, I crave peanut butter out of nowhere… I may have an issue. PRO TIP #1: Put them in the freezer. Thank me later. PRO TIP #2: The Peanut Butter Cups from Trader Joe’s are out of this world, along with the Almond Butter Covered Almonds (sounds redundant, but trust me on this one). 

Apple Cider Donuts

Does this one even need an explanation? My high school served donuts for breakfast every Friday morning, and in the fall, they treated us with apple cider donuts. As one would assume, my obsession began here. Growing up, I never considered myself a fan of donuts – mostly because the only ones I ever ate came from the Dunkin’ up the street. However, I tried REAL donuts from a bakery, and, let me tell you, I will never again NOT consider myself a fan of donuts. PRO TIP #1: The “donut-grams” Holy Cross occasionally gives out are *chef’s kiss* amazing. If you self-proclaim yourself as big of a donut fan as me, you must try Rocco’s Donuts in Millbury and Doughnut Homies in the Worcester Public Market. My favorites at these respective spots are Cookies N’ Cream and Coconut. 

Pumpkin Spice Flavored Drinks

I wait for pumpkin spice products all. year. long. My all-time favorite drink from Starbucks is the Iced Chai Latte with Cinnamon Dolce Syrup and Pumpkin Cream Cold Foam (credit to a TikTok I found two years ago). If you take anything from this article, I hope you write that drink order in your notes. Last year, stuck at home with online school, waking up and brewing myself hot coffee with International Delight’s Pumpkin Spice creamer served as my only saving grace. I now keep a little bottle of it in my dorm room fridge. 

THE WORST

Candy Corn

I love food, especially junk food, so my lists of “Worsts” will not ever contain more than one or two items. Nevertheless, many people share a common dislike, even hatred, of candy corn. I’ll always steal a small handful from a bowl in front of me – you know, just because they only come out of hibernation once a year. However, every time I do, I feel a little more disappointed. I WANT to like candy corn, and I really do try. I just cannot bring myself to it. The most iconic fall candy ranks lowest on my list. Sigh. 

Riley Peck

Holy Cross '24

Sophomore at the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, MA