Top 10 Things to Add to Your Dorm to Help with Homesickness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Moving to college can cause feelings of homesickness very quickly. Although I know you cannot bring your home to college, these are a few things I have done to make my dorm feel more like home.

Pictures!

I am a huge fan of the “photo wall” trend. My one at home has my friends ranging from 8th grade to freshman year of high school, so I took the opportunity when I got here to make a much more inclusive one of my friends back home now. With this right next to me, I can see a lot of the people who I love and miss on my wall. I also have some other photos on the bulletin board by my desk that make me feel at home as I study.

Art & Posters 

I have never been that big of a poster person, but I think some form of poster or art is necessary for a dorm. Hanging on my wall, I have two posters. The first is a piece of Marin County, California with the poppy field I’ve always wanted to visit. The second is a version of the Van Gogh in Arles piece. Both are from Society6, and I totally recommend their posters.

Mood Lighting

Having just one form of lighting in the dorm, especially HC’s starck lights, does not feel very homey. I love the fairy lights I have, but I also love color-changing lights. Having these lights in addition to normal lamps makes it easier to wind down in a cozy environment.

Meaningful Trinkets

Keep some objects that mean something to you close. My favorite “meaningful trinkets” in my room are my little ladybug and my glass turtle. On our last hangout this summer, ten of my closest friends and I were shopping, and we came across these little ladybugs. We decided that we would each get one and bring them to our respective colleges. We’ve sent picture updates on where in our rooms our ladybugs are. My glass turtle is another reminder of home on my desk. The turtle was given to me by my best friend after his trip to the Dominican Republic. It is made of glass and larimar, which is a stone that is meant to ease anxiety.

Comfy Blanket

A cozy blanket is all you need at the end of a long day.

Pillows

Having a good combination of cute pillows and comfortable pillows to sleep with will make your dorm experience better. Added comfort helps with that homelike feel.

Something Green

Even if it has to be a fake plant, adding a plant to your dorm will make the space feel more natural.

Favorite Color

Make sure the theme of your dorm involves your favorite color! Initially, I thought making my dorm theme purple for Holy Cross would be a good idea, but I needed to add my favorite color, blue, in more than I thought to make the space right for me.

Clock

Having a clock to glance at without opening your phone or computer can keep you present. I have an analog clock, but a digital clock works just as well.

Something Random from Home

A random and new addition to my dorm room is my tea kettle from home. If it wasn’t for this move to college, I do not think I would have realized how much something so random would mean to me.

Ann O'Malley

Holy Cross '26

Ann is a current sophomore at Holy Cross from Milton, Massachusetts. She enjoys spending time with friends, listening to music, and writing!