This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

So I have a love-hate relationship with TikTok. It is probably one of the best and worst things that has happened to me amidst the pandemic. While it consumes way too much of my time and inhibits me from doing a lot more productive things, it has also taught me a lot of life hacks that I probably would never have discovered before. Here are some TikTok life hacks I thought were worth sharing.

1. Cutting Fruits and Vegetables 

Random, but how annoying is it to cut cherry tomatoes one-by-one? Have you ever wondered if there was a way to just miraculously cut them all at once? Well there is! Lay out all your cherry tomatoes on a cutting board, place the lid of a tupperware on top of the tomatoes, slice all the tomatoes under the tupperware lid, and there you have it—sliced tomatoes in half the time! Another hack I found useful was how to cut a mango. As opposed to sloppily slicing random chunks from around the pit and scooping the fruit out of the skin, which I shamefully did before, I saw a way more reliable way to enjoy a mango. Cut the mango in half (horizontally) and pull/twist out the large pit on the side of the mango where the pit is sticking out. 

2. Grocery Shopping Inspo

So a few months ago, I made a Trader Joe’s Must Haves blog post, but honestly that post didn’t even cover half of the good finds available at Trader Joe’s. I applaud TikTok for keeping me updated on the newest TJ’s do’s and don’ts. 

3. How to Be a Part-Time Coffee Barista 

Whether it be a new creamer, a sugar alternative, or a new appliance to up your coffee game, TikTok will not disappoint. I think my best find was the hand-held milk frother on Amazon, which makes your coffee look and taste like you got it from a fancy coffee shop. Best part is…it’s only $20. Link is below… you will thank me later. 

https://www.amazon.com/Zulay-Milk-Frother-Handheld-Operated/dp/B074ZL35DH/ref=sr_1_1 _sspa?crid=2C0VMC5MKMBUS&dchild=1&keywords=milk+frother&qid=1612758841&spref ix=frother%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A1JGTWPBX7NK4E&spLa=ZW5jcn lwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTFFZN0VHSDQ2QUJaJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzMwNjg 5TUtXNFpUTjlMVjkzJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDUxNjkzRDNSQlFJVVNURFQzJn dpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9d HJ1ZQ==

4. How to Cook Like a Chef 

TikTok is an easy way to explore recipes, but also to see how these dishes are made. By watching these videos, you don’t need to re-read instructions in a cookbook to make sure you aren’t totally misinterpreting the words. Whether you muster up the courage to actually attempt to make the meal or not, it is entertaining to watch.

5. Workout Inspo 

While several gyms have closed and there is now limited access to other workout facilities, some of us have had to shift our exercise routines and get creative. TikTok is a great source to find new exercise routines and find household items to use for makeshift weights/ equipment. I think the most creative one I saw and actually did was the “soap treadmill.” Start by pouring dish soap and water on a wooden or hard surface, grasp a tabletop or high surface on either side, and start running. I started doing this one more for a good laugh until I noticed it was actually a functional workout method.

Dana Dinardo

Holy Cross '21

Studies Sociology at College of the Holy Cross