The Universal Holiday Gift Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Giving gifts is my love language. I try to remember every little thing the person has told me and culminate it into the perfect gift. I love giving gifts both sporadically and often. When the holiday season comes around, I begin to enter my true form: the ultimate gift giver. You can find my multiple lists of items I want for my birthday or christmas and my excel spreadsheet to go over who I have to buy for. My gifts are also usually themed which helps me expand on the interest of the person. Some past themes have included a party pack (cheeseboard supplies, wine, and glasses), a specific sports team (gear and possibly tickets), or a musical artist (record player, records, posters). All of these themes can be tailored to each individual and can be as large or as small as you need them to be. Finding one item that screams the person you are buying for can help create a strong base to curate the perfect gift. Here are my top items this year for everyone in your life.

A New Travel Bag

I know Vera Bradley bags are tried and true, but my 8 year old bag has definitely seen  better days. As someone who takes frequent weekend trips, I am always looking for something big enough to fit a couple changes of clothes but less than a suitcase. The Beis weekender has been all over TikTok but even a quality one on Amazon would do the trick. To bulk this one up, if needed, you could add packing cubes, a cosmetic bag, or travel size items.

Kitchen Essentials 

For those who are just moving out of their parents home, or who love home decor but do not like spending money, kitchenware is a great gift. Good knives are an essential part of every kitchen but people often do not want to spend the money on them. A non-stick skillet can be life changing for someone who loves to chef it up. Also if this person has lived in their home for a while, a little decorative item never hurts. Charcuterie boards have been all the rage and those are very affordable on Amazon. A set of new glasses is also great if they often entertain.

Plants!

Okay this one is going to sound a little crazy, but hear me out. We all have that one friend who loves plants or at least is very interested in them. Plants can lowkey be expensive so the holidays are a great time to splurge on a specific plant for them. Additionally, a cute cactus or succulent is a great gift for anyone in your life. It is a low maintenance living thing that allows them to care for something. It will also always remind them of you which is an added bonus!

New Sneakers

I have found that the most widely applicable gift is a new pair of sneakers. Everyone from your cool older sister to your grandmother to your boyfriend will love it. Obviously the factor that changes here is the type of shoe. Vejas and New Balances have been super popular as a more casual sneaker. Nike makes both the classic Air Force 1s but also more athletic use shoes. Hokas perfect for the active walker or runner in your life as they are built for ultimate comfort and support.

A New Piece of Technology

Technology is constantly changing; every year there is a new type of phone, speaker, or watch. Even though there are new items on the rise, people tend to not spend the money on themselves which is why it makes such a good gift. Technology is a great gift if you are looking to spend a little extra money on someone. This also is applicable to all different types of people: your mom might love an Apple watch but maybe your best friend needs new wireless headphones. These gifts also easily pair with an accessory, like a phone case or new watch band, so it lends itself to a slightly more thought out gift.

Alissandra Conlon

Holy Cross '24

Sophomore majoring in chemistry with a studio art minor. Outside of the classroom you can find me hanging out with my friends, in the dance studio, or out to dinner.