Style

The Rise of Ballet Core: How to Dress for the New Trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

The rise of the ballet core style has taken over the internet by storm. Stores, like Urban Outfitters,
have curated collections dedicated to the rising trend. You can easily incorporate delicate fabrics
and unique silhouettes into everyday styles. Ballet core certainly fits into the recent “clean girl
aesthetic” that has infiltrated my TikTok FYP, and my own personal style. I love to pull from the
ballet aesthetic to elevate my basic outfits to feel and look girlier. I often gravitate towards
neutral, lighter colors and comfortable fabrics, so this trend is perfect for people who also lean
towards a simpler style. Ballerinas are beautiful and delicate, so it makes sense that this trend is
becoming popular.

A few ways to incorporate this growing style into your wardrobe is to pick a few aspects of ballet
fashion that stick out to you and run with that. For example, boleros, shrugs, leg warmers, pastel
colors, bodysuits, sheer fabrics, and lots of layering will be your best friend when it comes to this
trend. My favorite places to shop for ballet core are Princess Polly, Lioness, Free People Active,
and Aritzia. Anybody can achieve this look and incorporate aspects of it into their everyday
style. I love this trend because of how many ways you can participate. It is such an inclusive
trend that looks adorable on anyone who tries it.

BOLEROS and SHRUGS:

We have seen the rise of boleros in recent months for a good reason! They elevate basic outfits
and give them an element of intentional fashion. Brands like Princess Polly have incorporated
boleros into their tops by pairing them with seamless tube tops. Shrugs are great for the colder
months because they are usually made of thick-knit fabrics. You can pair them with a simple
white tank or even layer them with a knit vest, a funky bra top, or a seamless long sleeve for
warmth. The possibilities are endless.

SHEER FABRICS:

Tulle, sheer fabrics, and tights all emulate the ballet core style. Recently, Kendall Jenner layered
a black bodysuit with black tights and broke the internet. We will be seeing more of this unique
style among celebrities. She took two basic pieces and made them fashionable. Sheer fabrics
allow for a more seductive feel to your outfits. For example, wear a long sleeve sheer top layered
with a lacy bra and a mini skirt. The sheer top elevates a basic outfit. Tights are your friend this
winter. They are adorable and keep you warmer than bare legs! They also allow for more
intentional layering. Wear your heels with tights and a mini-dress. Alix Earle recently wore a
white tulle dress (ballet core), black tights, and platform heels to a Rare Beauty event. This is a
perfect example of incorporating multiple elements into the perfect outfit. Tulle tops, often
reminiscent of a loofa, elevate a black mini skirt perfectly. I recently wore a tulle top from
Anthropologie and paired it with an Aritzia leather mini-skirt, black tights, and booties. It was
elegant and girly because of the tulle, yet sophisticated because of the tights and black booties.

BODYSUITS:

You probably already have a few bodysuits in your closet. They are the perfect going-out top
when paired with jeans or cargo pants. You can hike them up, pair them with low-rise baggy
jeans, and show some skin. My favorite bodysuits are the Babaton Contour bodysuits from
Aritzia. They come in many different colors and silhouettes, and flatter every body type. They
are a subtle way to incorporate the influence of dance leotards into your everyday fashion, and
are also great to pair with boleros, shrugs, and cardigans.

LEG WARMERS:

My favorite new emerging ballet trend is leg warmers. We often see them in 80’s workout
Halloween costumes or at ski-themed parties, but they are slowly showing up outside of just
costumes. Layered with leggings or tights and sneakers, they can look sporty. If paired with a
microskirt and platform shoes, they can elongate your legs and elevate a girly look. If leg
warmers are too far-fetched, opt for white slouch socks instead. I wear mine with mini Uggs and
leggings or lounge shorts, which look adorable. Princess Diana was also known for pairing
slouch socks with chunky New Balances and colorful bike shorts. This is less of a statement but
still achieves that ballet core style as if you are leaving the studio.

SLICKED BUN:

Another easy thing you’re probably already doing if you’re a girl on TikTok is wearing your hair
in a slicked bun. All you need is some gel! I also like to use a boar bristle brush and a comb to
make it easier to get my flyaways. I don’t like the wax stick that Hailey Beiber popularized,
because it doesn’t ever wash out of my hair. If you don’t mind the residue or are using a
clarifying shampoo, then feel free to add a wax stick to your routine. You can also slick your
hair, and instead of doing a bun, braid your hair. This is such a cute hairstyle that is definitely in
my weekly rotation.

Quinn Havlicek

Holy Cross '25

Art History Major with a minor in Creative Writing!