This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

To me, photography is a creative outlet that should not be limited by the confines of an Instagram account aesthetic. For this reason, I’ve felt apprehensive about sharing my photos on an Instagram account aside from my main for a long time. The last thing I want to do with my photos is place them in a context which subjects them to other people’s ideas of what a “good” photography portfolio should look like. However, I’ve come to care less about what other people think of my artistic expression and more about the expression itself, as it is one of the aspects of my life that I hold most sacred. Thus, after much internal debate, I finally made a photography account on Instagram last week. I’ve decided that my unique creative perspective is the sole aesthetic (if I can even call it that) through which I will share my photos.

Now, after about a week of having this account – do I recommend it? Is making a photography Insta really worth it? After all, it does take time out of my already busy college lifestyle, not to mention how it forces me to be on Instagram perhaps for longer than I should or want to be. And what about the endless possibilities for presentation of photographs that Instagram presents – between editing tools, filters, tags, location specification, captions, commenting, posts, stories, and even reels? Is it all too much to attach to a photo that arguably should speak for itself?

When I find myself going down this spiral of overthinking and perfectionism, I remind myself of why I love photography in the first place and why I decided to give it a life of its own on social media; From the moment I lay my eyes on a scene, to the moment I snap the picture or pictures, to the editing process (which could be extensive or minimal depending on my vision for the photo), and all the way to choosing how to post the photo on Instagram – the entire process simply brings me so much joy. Translating even just one of many visions I might have for a single photo provides me with a unique kind of creative fulfillment, and thus renders the process a meaningful one.

So, if you’re on the fence about creating an account dedicated to your photography hobby, ask yourself: do I enjoy the steps which Instagram might add to the creative process? Do I value my artistic expression over how seriously the account may be taken by those who come across it? Just like with any creative project, trust your instincts, and know that your creative identity exists regardless of whether you feel comfortable presenting it online.

Lauren Mlicko

Holy Cross '26

she/her | Queens, NYC | artist & storyteller